Audio splitting question (same speakers for TV and Desktop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevansup

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
Hi, can anyone recommend a method or device that would allow me to use the same set of speakers on both my computer and my television? Until now I have been unplugging the audio cable from my computer into my TV nearby in order to have better sound.

If there is a known solution to how I can get the TV and computer to use the same speakers and switch between them by flipping a switch or something, please let me know. Thanks!

First of all, you don't state what CONNECTION you are using.

PC speakers?
Home Theater speakers?
Receiver unit?

I also can't visualize what you're doing. If you're using the same speakers for the PC as you do for the HDTV then does that mean you're using the HDTV already as your screen?

If so, then wouldn't your PC just be plugged into the HDMI input thus no switch is needed?

sevansup

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

Sorry, I'm using PC speakers with a 3.5mm audio cable. My TV also supports this output.

The HDTV isn't my main screen, but I switch to it when watching a movie or playing a console game. It is connected to my PC but it isn't always on. Right now this requires me to either move the speaker audio cable from the PC to the TV whenever I want to use it (to get better sound than the crappy TV speakers), or leave it constantly plugged in at all times to the TV which I don't want to do, since I would only get sound from my other PC activities while the TV is on in that case.

sevansup

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

That wouldn't give me sound through the speakers when I'm playing a console game or something on the TV.

sevansup

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

If the cable is going from my PC to my speakers, that means that I cannot plug those same speakers into my TV because they are already being used by my PC. I probably made it a little confusing, and maybe it'd make more sense what I'm trying to do if I had pictures.

However, after looking at some of those switches you posted (thank you, by the way) I found this one on Amazon that looks like it will do exactly what I need.

http://www.amazon.com/Multi-channel-Headphone-Signal-Switcher-Amplifier/dp/B00HA11KFQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430968364&sr=8-2&keywords=audio+switch

Status
Not open for further replies.