Audio Technica ATH-M40x VS Monster DNA

ShookieJay

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
Hello all, I'm wondering which of these two headphones would provide better sound quality. I currently own a pair of Monster DNA headphones and I really like the way they sound. However, due to poor design they have deteriorated with very gentle use, so I'm looking to replace them with something equivalent if not better. The only other pair I'm considering at the moment is the Audio Technica ATH-M40x. Can someone tell me from personal experience if the ATH-M40x will deliver the same audio quality as the Monster DNA? I'm looking for a reasonable but not overpowering amount of bass and clear mids and highs is a must. Will the M40x's be fitting to those standards or should I look elsewhere? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Price range preferably $100 or less. Thanks in advance! :D

Solution
the m50 has fair amounts of bass (without being bass-cannon or basshead levels) and clear highs and mids although mids are recessed due to the v-shaped profile. the one thing the m50 lacks is soundstage and it has one of the worst (smallest) soundstages even as far as closed cans are concerned. the m40 is a slightly worse version. good cans if you can get over the small soundstage. i own a pair (m50) myself and like them despite that.

the hd439's are pretty bassy as well. with the bass mod they become cannons - and by reviews even with the mod do not lose out on clarity of highs and mids.
the m50 has fair amounts of bass (without being bass-cannon or basshead levels) and clear highs and mids although mids are recessed due to the v-shaped profile. the one thing the m50 lacks is soundstage and it has one of the worst (smallest) soundstages even as far as closed cans are concerned. the m40 is a slightly worse version. good cans if you can get over the small soundstage. i own a pair (m50) myself and like them despite that.

the hd439's are pretty bassy as well. with the bass mod they become cannons - and by reviews even with the mod do not lose out on clarity of highs and mids.

Solution

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
I also had the m50s , the m40x has smaller drivers and is more neutral by design. Not surprisingly the sound is similar to its bigger brothers and this has been noted before in some other headphones of Audio Technica's line.

Build quality there's no doubt the m40x takes it. Almost every on ear DNA headphone I've seen on display is broken or snapped in half, but the ATH series are built ruggedly and should last you for years to come. The sound quality should have a slight edge over the DNAs since they are advertised as studio monitors, but you might find they are not as fun to listen to.

If you're looking for a well balanced, competent headphone around $100 I would recommend the NVX XPT100. For $100 you definitely can not go wrong with it and it comes with a pair of good quality IEMs. Build quality is solid, outer shells are fit with brushed metal plates which look great imo, uses a detachable cable, and comes with two sets of large memory foam ear pads which are very comfortable. Clean mids and highs with bass that extends well but is not overbearing. They have a warm but balanced sound and are great all rounders.