Audio-Technica ATH-M50C for Gaming?

Brand New Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (Unbroken) for PC Gaming?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Hello, I was wondering if it's a good idea to use a brand new (unbroken) pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50C(Coiled Cable) for PC gaming?

Coffee

sure, why not?

for the money they have excellent sound and a fun V shaped sound profile.

the only thing they lack is a wide soundstage which really isnt 100% necessary. think of it as listening to a band in a closed room instead of out in a park. sound is more direct-in-your-face and bassy but not ambient with as much directionality.

--
TLDR:

if you havent bought anything yet then there are definitely a few other options to consider... but if you just have them laying around then sure they will work great
i own a pair of ath-m50s (straight cable) and while i do not use them for gaming primarily i have done it a few times and they work fine.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
I have the same headphones as ssddx, the M50s. While they do work for gaming, I still prefer a pair of semi open headphones I have for gaming. While they are not as detailed as the M50s, the soundstage is definitely a lot wider and they're good if you play games where the surroundings are important like first person shooters.

I've had the M50s for a month now and did not notice any difference with a burn in with pink noise. I am however finding them a lot more comfortable compared to when I first tried them on. Honestly (imo) if you were looking for a pair of headphones for gaming I would go for an open or semi open pair. There are closed headphones with a wide soundstage as well from what I've read, but the ATH m50 is not one of them.

They're great headphones for listening to music and are great for the price, but they lack a bit in the gaming department.

Here's a pair of headphones that are apparently great for gaming and only cost $50:

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-209995-SR850/dp/B002LBSEQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345663566&sr=8-1&keywords=sr850

agreed...

if he wanted to keep the m50 bass... the dt770 has a bit more soundstage but not anything like open headphones.
if he wouldnt mind giving up heavy hitting bass and just keeping mild bass levels then the dt990 or dt880 are excellent.
the ad900x, ad700x and hd598 are all great with huge soundstages but more limited on bass.

m50s have perhaps one of the smallest soundstages for all studio headphones. they have excellent sound but that is their one flaw (every headphone has a flaw). while they can be used for gaming generally people prefer wider soundstages for that.

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
sorry for the late reply, been really busy with work and the like...

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into it when I have time.

@ssdx are any of the headphones you suggested in the 50-100$ CDN price range?

Coffee

not sure about canada... but in the usa... (100cad=92usd)

i've seen the ath-m50 for as low as $100 new but open box on ebay. normally $120
i've seen the ad-700x for as low as $115 new on amazon, normally about $140-150
i've seen the hd-558 for about $120

the sound quality once you get into the $100-200 range is really good for the money spent.

if you want cheaper...

the pioneer se-a1000 is $60 and was recommended as an overlooked jewel in that pricerange
the ath-t500 is $68 and also gets good reviews for the price range.

quality isnt going to be as good as the ones i recommended which are available for the $100-120usd range though but its your choice if you want to spend that much or not.

some other possible choices.. http://www.head-fi.org/t/656055/best-choice-for-headphones-under-100

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Well... I already own an pair of ATH-M50(C). (Bought at the time I opened this thread because 1) All the good things I heard about it and 2) It was on SALE (not sale, or Sale... SALE). I got it for $127ish after tax. Can't say I was "blown" away but they are quite amazing.

Considering I'm looking for my second pair of headphones, I would like to get something that's not much worse than the m50s with better soundstage for about $100CDN...

Coffee