Audio technica ath-m50x + mixamp pro tr experience?

Heartless91

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Sorry in advance, my English may lack as im from the Netherlands and I'm new to Audiophile type headphones..

Does anyone have experience with the AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-M50X hooked up to the astro MIXAMP pro tr on a Playstation 4? Coming from the Steelseries Siberia 800 (wireless h) gaming headset, will these headphones + mixamp give me a better experience for gaming, music and movies on the ps4? FYI, I like a good punch in the bass, which the Steelseries really lacks. Also the volume of the steelseries cant go that high, which really bothers me.

Would this be a good setup for me?

Solution
I get a little ranty when it comes to the surround sound thing, hope it wasn't harsh.

You will be pleased with the M50xs they are going to feel amazing and sound fantastic. I can't really suggest anything else. I have had mine for around 3 or 4 years i guess, wouldn't trade them for anything else. Still look feel and sound great.

But listen to your favorite music with them too! Don't just relegate such a nice set to console duty.

As far as the mic thing i have no clue. I don't actually have any experience with consoles.

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

Well first and formost Volume is controlled by whatever is amplifying the signal, not the speakers. You need more POWER not different cans.

That aside, the M50x are amazing and i have owned a pair for a number of years.

They are closed and do have good bass - but it is just that, good, true to sound bass. Nothing crazy. They are what i could consider monitors - you're getting closer to true sound.

A mixamp doesn't really do anything other than manipulate the equalizer, and possibly amplify the signal. There is only a single driver in each ear so its not like there is any kind of cross over splitting up the sound. All those mixamps do is alter equalization and balance artificially. You could do the same thing using any equalizer or mixer.

Heartless91

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017

Thank you for your quick response. I have been doing research for the past few days to where I feel completely overwhelmed by all sorts of information that is new to me, so it is hard for me to fully understand everything :( I am very new at this.
But you can confirm that the mixamp would create a virtual surround to these headphones, yes? I am glad to hear that the bass is nice.

I only play on the playstation 4, not pc. So if i understand correctly, i have to connect the mixamp with the usb and optical cable to the ps4 and the headphones to the headphones input of the mixamp, correct? I dont know if this is true, but i read on several forums that connecting the headphones directly into the controller would cause it to lose quality. This and that you can get virtual surround via the mixamp was the reason for me of combining the two together. I heard it is a popular device, especially for console, in order to get the most out of your headphones?

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

Virtual surround is a gimmick, a sham, and a lie.
Surround sound has to do with the mechanics of surrounding a large space with accurate sound. It is quite difficult and requires varying speaker sizes, frequencies, response ranges, and distances from the listener. This can be done using devices like crossovers in a car, or a home theater system in the living room.

NONE of those things come into play with a headset. Nor do they need to.

Stereo sound IS surround sound. You only have two ears. You can hear if something is in front, to the left, below, above, behind, all that - with just your TWO ears.

Virtual surround sound and headphone surround sound in general is a complete scam. What they should advertise it as is

"Custom gaming equalizer makes footsteps louder and bangs quieter so you can stay focused on the game and hear your enemy"

Calling it surround is a bold faced lie. It is STEREO sound, always, 100% of the time.

Heartless91

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017

Thank you for that explanation, this is what i came across various times on different forums aswell, that surround in headsets is used to trick people into buying them. Thank you for clarifying this even more for me.

The headphones should arrive tomorrow, I hope it will be what i am looking for. If it isn't as good as i had hoped, do you maybe have an alternative headphones i could get? My price range is around 150-200 euro's. That is for gaming, movies and music, but has a nice punchy bass to it?

Also, do you know whether the playstation camera will work as a microphone when i use the audio technica? I know a lot of people recommend the modmic's, but they dont sell them in my country :(

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
I get a little ranty when it comes to the surround sound thing, hope it wasn't harsh.

You will be pleased with the M50xs they are going to feel amazing and sound fantastic. I can't really suggest anything else. I have had mine for around 3 or 4 years i guess, wouldn't trade them for anything else. Still look feel and sound great.

But listen to your favorite music with them too! Don't just relegate such a nice set to console duty.

As far as the mic thing i have no clue. I don't actually have any experience with consoles.

Solution