Solved! Best Premium/Audiophile Headset (or Headphones + ModMic or Boom Pro) For Gaming Under $250?

Feb 28, 2020
Looking around to see if I can find a good headset that I can use for gaming (specifically competitive fps games). I'm looking for great sound (both from the headphones and the mic, if it comes with one), good comfort, not too much clamping force, good imaging, good soundstage, decent bass response. Any suggestions could be an all in one solution where it's a pair of headphones that comes with a mic attached, or a pair of headphones and order something like a ModMic or V-Moda Boom Pro separately.

My current headset is a Sennheiser PC37x Headset (which I know is already pretty good) however I'm looking to try and upgrade from that. Reason being I sometimes experience an issue where the headphones will leak sound into the mic, not really a probably on PC since I have a noise gate set up, but when playing on PS4 it's a bigger issue.

A few popular headset combos that I seen were the Philips Fidelio X2HR w/ V-Moda Boom Pro (but I don't know if; 1. The mic will sound better than my current one, and 2. If the headphones will leak sound back into the microphone), the DT880/DT990 Pro w/ ModMic (not sure if this combo will give me better quality over what I have), and the Sennheiser HD58x w/ ModMic (not sure if the HD58x will leak so much to where audio comes back into the mic.

In any case, hoping to get some help, waiting to hear your suggestions, thanks.

Solution
D
I don't know anything about mics so I can't help you there but there are youtube vids with comparisons.

The X2 has a huge soundstage and very good imaging so is a good choice for a gaming headphone. No amp required.

The Sennheiser HD599/599SE ( Amazon specific but the same headphone in a different color ) are also very good choices for the same reasons. Also doesn't need an amp.

I'm not a fan of the lower end Beyerdynamics as I find them too hot in the treble BUT, for gaming you may not find that a problem. Don't get the 250ohm or especially not the 600ohm models unless you have an amp.

The HD58X is a solid choice for music but it has a pretty smallish soundstage especially compared to the X2 and HD599. Wouldn't be my first choice...
D

Deleted member 217926

I don't know anything about mics so I can't help you there but there are youtube vids with comparisons.

The X2 has a huge soundstage and very good imaging so is a good choice for a gaming headphone. No amp required.

The Sennheiser HD599/599SE ( Amazon specific but the same headphone in a different color ) are also very good choices for the same reasons. Also doesn't need an amp.

I'm not a fan of the lower end Beyerdynamics as I find them too hot in the treble BUT, for gaming you may not find that a problem. Don't get the 250ohm or especially not the 600ohm models unless you have an amp.

The HD58X is a solid choice for music but it has a pretty smallish soundstage especially compared to the X2 and HD599. Wouldn't be my first choice for gaming.

The best gaming headphone I've used is the AKG K712 Pro but it's hard to drive despite the 62ohm impedance. It NEEDS an amp. Soundstage is huge and it has detail not found in many sub $1000 headphones. It's also as comfortable as the HD598/599.

Hopefully that helped a little. :)

Solution
Feb 28, 2020

The HD58X is a solid choice for music but it has a pretty smallish soundstage especially compared to the X2 and HD599. Wouldn't be my first choice for gaming.

The best gaming headphone I've used is the AKG K712 Pro but it's hard to drive despite the 62ohm impedance. It NEEDS an amp. Soundstage is huge and it has detail not found in many sub $1000 headphones. It's also as comfortable as the HD598/599.

Hopefully that helped a little. :)
Sort of helped in a way, I keep seeing conflicting reviews saying that the X2's do have good imaging, and they don't have good imaging. And then things like they aren't good for competitive fps due to their bass response (which I don't understand how that is when it's open-back). So I'm really just curious on what would be the best choice for those kind of games. Also forgot to mention I would be plugging whatever I got with into my Mayflower ARC Mk2.

D

Deleted member 217926

The X2 has a mid bass hump and is a warm, bassy headphone.

With an ARC get the K712 Pro. Plenty of power to drive them and they're spectacular in both comfort and sound quality. Soundstage is often compared to the HD800. I hear detail with the K712 Pro I've never heard with any of my other headphones and that's saying something.

The ARC is a great choice. I've got an O2/ODAC from Mayflower. :)

Edit: Oh and for years the K712 Pro was $499 but Amazon has it for about $275 now. Bargain at that price.

Feb 28, 2020
The X2 has a mid bass hump and is a warm, bassy headphone.

With an ARC get the K712 Pro. Plenty of power to drive them and they're spectacular in both comfort and sound quality. Soundstage is often compared to the HD800. I hear detail with the K712 Pro I've never heard with any of my other headphones and that's saying something.
So the X2's wouldn't be good to pair with the Arc? Also that K712 is a bit pricey, what about the K7xx or the HD58x? And which ModMic would you pair with them (since they can't take the Boom Pro), I know Antlion has newer models like the Uni and the USB, but I obviously can't use the USB on the Arc, and the Uni in my opinion sounds bad (I know it's because it's trying to cancel out any noise from the other side of the capsule).

D

Deleted member 217926

Like I said above the HD58X is great for music but I wouldn't buy them for gaming. Also as I said above I don't know anything about mics. I don't own one. I game but pretty much stick to single player.

The K7XX is solid. A less refined K712 Pro. Same soundstage and imaging. And comfort.

The X2 is a very good headphone but as you've read that midbass hump might not translate to great for gaming. I don't own the X2 though and I've only briefly auditioned them.