Audition CS 6 - multitrack session tracks offline

Patrick John Ladd

Estimable
Oct 11, 2014
Hi everyone.

This is a true nightmare. Yesterday I was recording a live concert in Audition CS 6 using a multitrack session. When I checked the footage and sound files at home I couldn't believe what I saw. Half of the session was offline!! Nowhere to find. What shall I do about it?

I saved the session just like any other one thinking that this would be enough to save the .wav files on my hard drive.

Here's the background to it:

I had about 16 tracks coming from a Behringer X32.

The band was playing two sets, so I did one short break before recording the second part of the concert. All in one Audition session.

So as the gig was over I had all input channels split into two long tracks. Everything fine. Now due to lack of time I couldn't export every single track as backup.

So I just saved the session, shut down my computer and thought it would be alright.

Is there a way to get the files of the first part of the concert back? How can this be, if it's in one and the same multitrack session?

I didn't shut down Audition during the break.

I read some threads about this very issue. But noone had a solution.

Please, I need help on this one. It's urgent!!
Are there any experts in recovering data on this forum?

Not sure this will help but have you tried using something like Recuva from Piriform? It's a free download and I have used it to recover files. Just be careful not to overwrite the data as it will make it even more difficult to recover. Does Audition have any type of AutoSave option?

Some thread that may be worth checking out:
http://www.jakeludington.com/audition/20060316_adobe_audition_crashed_how_do_i_get_my_audio_back.html
http://homerecording.com/bbs/sitemap/f-30.html
https://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?q=Audition+recovery
Link to Manual download

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is to check and see if there are any files in temporary folders.

Patrick John Ladd

Estimable
Oct 11, 2014
Well thanks for the answer. But nothing helped.
Tried several recovery tools. None of them could find the lost files. I checked the Audition sesx file to locate the gone audio data.
But since it was a temporary directory the folders were already deleted by the programm.

The only time when such temp folders exist is when Audition is actually running with a project opened.
After closing the programm these folders are gone.

I saw many folks having the exact same issue. This must be a bug in the software.
Is there any other way to recover these files?

What recovery tools did you use?
If the files have not been overwritten you could try something like Recuva to see if you can recover the files. If the initial scan doesn't find anything you could try running a deep scan. A deep scan might be best done overnight as it can take several hours for it to run.
Session saved correctly, but files are missing from multitrack?

Hopefully someone with more experience using Audition than I have will post a solution.