Australian Apple Maps Users Stranded in Park for 24 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

guru_urug

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
We might have found the iphone killer :p
Seriously the people who got lost have more money than sense. Still doesnt beat the woman who drove into the lake coz her gps said so.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
46 degrees (celsius)? That's pretty hot.

Well, I guess this was bound to happen. Probably already did more often than reported, likely because the potentially deadly scenarios were not common.
In that kind of heat, 70 km can as well be 700 km. You can't make it 10 km without hydration.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Why anyone would use an iphone for GPS is beyond sane. GPS on an iphone is a gimmick and not a very good one. I had a friend who rode with me to Albuqueque NM, to pick up a vintage auto and he insisted on using his iphone for GPS. Well in NM, because of the mountains a phone signal is spotty and the iphone likes to use either cell towers or connection to download its info instead of storing anything and by the time we would get an update we had driven miles past our exits. I finally had to pull over and plug in a real GPS receiver into my laptop and we got to were we needed to be.

G

So police or government must react to change ios maps lol. My reported errors are ignored. Apple go home !

axiler

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Australia have gotten themselves into a spot of bother because they stuck with Maps.

I'm not partially good with grammar..but shouldn't it be
Australia have gotten themselves into a spot of bother because they ARE stuck with APPLE Maps.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, just makes it easier to read then "They stuck with Maps".

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
how did the people who followed thier maps 70k away into a national park ever earn enough money to afford an apple product.. seriously .. who let them out of the group home

G

This isn't Apple fault. The morons that went out into the desert should have had a better understanding of navigation before they left. And made a point to know where the hell they are.

This is just plain stupidty up there with someoen buying hot coffee at a restaurant then being suprised that they burned themselves because the coffee was hot.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]Why anyone would use an iphone for GPS is beyond sane. GPS on an iphone is a gimmick and not a very good one. I had a friend who rode with me to Albuqueque NM, to pick up a vintage auto and he insisted on using his iphone for GPS. Well in NM, because of the mountains a phone signal is spotty and the iphone likes to use either cell towers or connection to download its info instead of storing anything and by the time we would get an update we had driven miles past our exits. I finally had to pull over and plug in a real GPS receiver into my laptop and we got to were we needed to be.[/citation]

I wouldn't use it as a hiking GPS, but I used a phone with a maps app for driving navigation for years.

G

Nice of Tom's to post the info late and not complete. No info on the fact that the problem has been corrected. Must be why I rarely read Tom's info.

drdino

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
[citation][nom]axiler[/nom]If I'm wrong I'm wrong, just makes it easier to read then "They stuck with Maps".[/citation]

Actually, what they're saying is that the people kept using Maps (i.e. they "stuck it out"), not that the people of Australia are stuck with Maps.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I love it here in Australia. Not only does our wildlife kill you (can't swim: crocs and sharks, can't go camping: snakes and spiders, can't go bushwalking: drop bears), now you can't go driving: Apple maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.