Autocorrect Mistake Accidentally Sends School Shooting Threat

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]when was the last time something important was sent via a text? im sure no one will care if you miss type dont and dont put the the ' in it... i sure as hell dont when i type normally, though that has more to do with my pinky fingers than any thing else. i also dont use shift... only time people complain is the kind of people who disregard a whole comment because of 1 typing mistake, and god knows i would get a sanction here if i voiced my opinion on them. only time shift is ever used by me is when i am TRYING to drive a point home and some people may need to have the key word pointed out... sense the way i talk cant be articulated through ip as of now.[/citation]

Well, the text that this article is based on was important enough to shut down a school for a while. I know some auxiliary military groups such as the Civil Air Patrol use a lot of text messages, especially in emergency services such as search and rescue. A lot of their search and rescue missions (most search and rescue done in the continental USA is done by or partially by this group) are sent out through text messages to ensure the info is sent out to as many members as necessary very rapidly.

rooni

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
[citation][nom]ljlsbgf[/nom]I use autocorrect because it makes driving easier.[/citation]
you shouldn't be driving on the roads then if you are going to text and drive

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]rooni[/nom]you shouldn't be driving on the roads then if you are going to text and drive[/citation]

I think he/she was being sarcastic, not literal. If he/she was being literal then yes, he/she shouldn't do much of anything with their phones when they are driving.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
On my windows phone about the only thing I use autocorrect for is punctuation, basic spelling corrections, and capitalization. If I write "im" it will correct it to "I'm." If I write "im goung to plya xbox" it will correct it to say "I'm going to play Xbox".

Typically I write the full words of my texts and don't use acronyms, short hand, or smilies. I just don't feel like learning a new language in order to communicate with people that speak english. If my texts run long, so be it.

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
this is crazy as %^&* awesome but i wonder what phone he used, haven't used one with autocorrect or i just don't know if my phone has one, LG

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rooni[/nom]you shouldn't be driving on the roads then if you are going to text and drive[/citation]
WTF??? Where do you suppose she should she drive and text then?

starjet

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Doesn't autocorrect sorta "learn" according to what we type regularly and change words according to that? So "gunna" might change to different words in different people's phones, right?

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]starjet[/nom]Doesn't autocorrect sorta "learn" according to what we type regularly and change words according to that? So "gunna" might change to different words in different people's phones, right?[/citation]
It doesn't learn unless you explicitly add it to the dictionary.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Well, the text that this article is based on was important enough to shut down a school for a while. I know some auxiliary military groups such as the Civil Air Patrol use a lot of text messages, especially in emergency services such as search and rescue. A lot of their search and rescue missions (most search and rescue done in the continental USA is done by or partially by this group) are sent out through text messages to ensure the info is sent out to as many members as necessary very rapidly.[/citation]

you do get i was making a point against ever using auto correct... right?

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]you do get i was making a point against ever using auto correct... right?[/citation]

And you do get that what you said wasn't correct, right? Some people use auto correct because it helps you to text faster. Even then, you asked "when was the last time something important was sent via a text?" and I answered that too. Some people do prefer to have proper grammar, but auto correct isn't just about grammar. Besides that, if you are communicating through someone important, such as an employer of some sort, or a higher ranking member than you if you are in a military/paramilitary group, then you want to be professional.

Like it or not, these situations do happen, yet you acted as if they don't. Yes, I got that you were trying to make a point, but the point you were trying to make was invalid.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
This is stupid and just goes to show you the mass paranoia that exists in our society. The fact that someone feels the need to go to the police over some short, vague text is proof of this. Suddenly everyone is taking everything so literal, you can't even tell a joke on twitter without someone turning you in.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]This is stupid and just goes to show you the mass paranoia that exists in our society. The fact that someone feels the need to go to the police over some short, vague text is proof of this. Suddenly everyone is taking everything so literal, you can't even tell a joke on twitter without someone turning you in.[/citation]

What if it wasn't a joke, and you live the rest of your life knowing some kids got shot and killed or hurt badly out of your negligence? It isn't like we haven't seen many school shootings over the years, I'd prefer we are prepared for it so if it doesn't happen, great, if it does, well we should be safer knowing in advance.

Better safe than sorry, yes?

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I hate sending a message when I'm pissed, b/c I start texting really fast and of course stupid auto-correct makes my message sound stupid. That just makes me doubly mad. We never had this problem back in the day when we'd just pick up the phone and call to cuss somebody out.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Antimatter79[/nom]I hate sending a message when I'm pissed, b/c I start texting really fast and of course stupid auto-correct makes my message sound stupid. That just makes me doubly mad. We never had this problem back in the day when we'd just pick up the phone and call to cuss somebody out.[/citation]

Phones can still be used to call people. If texting is such a problem and you don't mind calling, then I recommend you try calling them instead of trying to text them.

G

I did a little test of my own, and when I input "gunna" into my HTC Sensation (Android), it actually does auto-correct to "Gunman".

Status
Not open for further replies.