Automatically switch to Intel GPU on battery and to AMD GPU when plugged in

almostageek

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015
Hi guys once again
So my laptop doesn't have a very good battery life, and I seldom run heavy applications on battery so I want my laptop to switch automatically to Intel GPU when I unplug
And vice versa. When I plug my laptop in I do many heavy tasks, and since power-offs here are extremely rare I want to utilize my more powerful AMD graphics.
In conclusion, how can I make my laptop automatically switch between these two GPUS? Thanks

Solution
He means AMD control panel. I looked over the docs for your laptop and as far as I can tell, it should support Enduro (switchable graphics). You select when the AMD GPU is utilized by selecting which applications run on the AMD GPU

weilin

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Which laptop do you have? If you have a laptop that supports AMD switchable graphics? If so, what you're asking for might be in the AMD/Intel driver suite. look for the control panel for both company's software?

The Intel GPU is always used by default for ordinary Windows work, no need to to do anything to make that happen.

The AMD GPU is only used according to how you've configured it in the "3D Settings" section of Nvidia Control Panel.

You cannot have separate GPU configurations for battery & mains-power, there's no way to make that happen.

almostageek

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015

Dell Inspiron 5547 core i7 model

almostageek

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015

NVIDIA control panel? How does that even... appear on a system without NVIDIA GPU?

weilin

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
He means AMD control panel. I looked over the docs for your laptop and as far as I can tell, it should support Enduro (switchable graphics). You select when the AMD GPU is utilized by selecting which applications run on the AMD GPU

Solution

almostageek

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015

How can I configure that? After I read the document provided by AMD there's not much I could understand

weilin

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
I don't have switchable graphics so I can't tell you what you need to look for. I just know the capability is there. You'll have to wait for someone who is more knowledgeable to respond... sorry :(