AV Closet Cooling

lucasbuck2

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Wanted to see if I could get some opinions. In my new house build I will have a media closet in the basement. I designed it to be 4x4, a door on either side. It will have a lot of equipment, probably too much. 3 desktops (HTPC, mine and my wife's which are set up as stations in areas of the house), Xbox as an extender, receiver, router, modem, probably another couple odds and ends.

Asking around and reading other posts I've gotten 2 ideas, but am not sure which is the best way to go. I want to do it right since it's so much easier in a new build, but both opinions I've gotten seem to be at different ends of the spectrum. One suggestion is a regular sized vent (like a floor vent but mounted in the wall) with 2 silent PC fans controlled by a PC thermostat. The other is to run something like a Panasonic Whisperline fan and feed it into the homes return air with an attic thermostat. Seems like a major difference to me so I don't know what's too small, or too much.

Since it's in the basement it will be sitting under the main floor of the house (which is where our living\TV room will be). I don't know how quiet the Whisperlines are, but I wouldn't want to hear the thing while it's running.

I'm just thinking if I go with the computer fans, it might not be all that pretty. But if I go with some kind of commercial fan, I'm not sure how quiet those things are (but I can just have the builder do it). Plus that one I could feed into the return air rather than pump the hot air into another room with computer fans. So kind of stuck and don't want to go redo it down the road.

Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Since this is going to be a 4'x4'x8' space I don't think you will need active cooling. I would use louver doors instead of solid ones. That will provide air flow and you won't have to worry about noise. If you do have a heat problem just add fans to improve the air flow in one door and out the other.