Avast, AVG, or Symantec for Antivirus?

spritemv

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
The subscription to McAffee that came with my computer expires soon so I've been considering my options for the future. There are 3 applications I am considering:

1. Avast Free
2. AVG Free
3. Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition suite (available to me for free through my school)

I know a lot of people don't like Symantec because it can be a bit of a system hog, but if I can get the full subscription for no charge, would you recommend it over the two freeware options? Which of the 3 options do you like best and why? Thanks for the input!

rmicro1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Symantec tends to detect a virus after there's nothing it can do about it. Steer clear of Symantec.

I had two businesses last year that used symantec and they both had a virus waltz right through it. Used NOD32 to clean it up.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I downloaded viruses on purpose on a machine with avg 8 it would not allow me to start infected exe's, norton on the other hand lets everything run and is taken over 100% time on every machine i get in the shop.

I have cleaned thousands of machines and every one with nortons has been taken over , they really need to fix that.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
AVG or AVAST are the two best.

now as for the posters above are you talking about normal Norton? or Corporate Norton? because Corporate Norton is very Good however the Norton most people get(the normal one) is very bad.

To the OP, i would get Avast since its my personal fav between AVG and AVAST but either one will do, the corporate license for Norton that you will recieve wont last forever so i would recommend that you pick up one of the free Anti virus pieces of software.

MysteriousWind

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006

+1 for NOD32. I've used it for a while and don't plan on switching. It has a small performance footprint and it's stable. It does cost money, but you can find it for free in a dark ally on the internet......

I actually manually uninstalled Norton (which I had a free subscript with through my school) and bought NOD32.

lolitha

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Avira is good also, it's less resource hoggy than AVG and have better detection rate than avg or avast but gives more false detections than AVG.