Avatar Going 4D in Korea With Smells, Lasers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]What exactly does an alien planet with and unbreathable atmosphere smell like?[/citation]

Pump in the noxious gasses, everyone gets to wear a mask for the 4D experience!

G

4th. Dimension is time?

There is no 4th. dimension. Get it right.

trencin

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
the cost of living in korea is roughly twice the amount than in the states...to them its like paying $30.

G

If you watch Broke Back Mountain your chair gets drilled with a dildo. The smell comes for free.

kajohn10

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
*sigh* For those who study and work in HCI / Multimedia, dimensions are also used to described the number of senses used. Get over yourselves for thinking it only applies to space, and then time. Sight, sound, touch, smell, taste, 5 dimensions, simple as that.

The sense of smell has quite a bit of research behind it and how to effectively make it a viable form of feedback that enhances the experience instead of hinder it. Obviously they are not going to add smells to offending media...or maybe they will some day, the way this world is going (ref 'Idiocracy' (2006), see it if you haven't).

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
[citation][nom]yang[/nom]wtf 15.80 is double the price of US tickets?! how low are your theater tickets!!? here in canada just normal IMAX 3D cost 15 dollars[/citation]

Yea frig even normal movies are getting expensive. A friend of mine took me to Avatar right before Christmas as an early gift (seeing as I normally don't get days off much) each ticket when we were looking was almost $14! for a normal movie!

sabina27all

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Given that Yours Truely watched the 4-D version two weeks after the 3-D version and with a different theater company implies that the first-time awe was absent during the 4-D version and the picture at the 4-D plex viewed at was of a lower quality than that of the 3-D plex attended by this viewer.

Those two factors ignored, we still have one issue to be brought up and that is, the extra dimension (not time; rather, 4 of your senses). A 4-D experience, unlike lesser theaters which only offer candy to your visual and audio receptors, invites your feel and smell senses to the show.

The romantic scene at the Tree of Souls was accompanied by a very pleasant aroma. That, or, everybody ate flowers for lunch that day.

With every step during an action packed running sequence, and with every flap of a wing during flight, and with every explosion, the chairs vibrate and move like the Back to the Future Ride at Universal Studios, Hollywood.

These extra senses, although much obliged to attend, distracted attention that the eyes and ears were focusing in on, like a couple of bad students telling funny jokes behind you as you are listening to an interesting lecture: the shaking seats are fun, but they dim the power of the viewers imagination of actual flight or running as the shaking is spoonfeeding you the general idea, and now your mind is no longer troubled by creating the imagination. That, and, one might be wide-eyed and open jawed and locked into the scene and then boom, the seats shake and you ejected from your trance. The aroma contributes a similar distraction.

[Once again, this viewers experience while watching the 3-D version is biased because it was his first time watching the film and the screen and sound was bigger and the 3-D picture and glasses were in higher definition]
Given that Yours Truely watched the 4-D version two weeks after the 3-D version and with a different theater company implies that the first-time awe was absent during the 4-D version and the picture at the 4-D plex viewed at was of a lower quality than that of the 3-D plex attended by this viewer.

Those two factors ignored, we still have one issue to be brought up and that is, the extra dimension (not time; rather, 4 of your senses). A 4-D experience, unlike lesser theaters which only offer candy to your visual and audio receptors, invites your feel and smell senses to the show.

The romantic scene at the Tree of Souls was accompanied by a very pleasant aroma. That, or, everybody ate flowers for lunch that day.

With every step during an action packed running sequence, and with every flap of a wing during flight, and with every explosion, the chairs vibrate and move like the Back to the Future Ride at Universal Studios, Hollywood.

These extra senses, although much obliged to attend, distracted attention that the eyes and ears were focusing in on, like a couple of bad students telling funny jokes behind you as you are listening to an interesting lecture: the shaking seats are fun, but they dim the power of the viewers imagination of actual flight or running as the shaking is spoonfeeding you the general idea, and now your mind is no longer troubled by creating the imagination. That, and, one might be wide-eyed and open jawed and locked into the scene and then boom, the seats shake and you ejected from your trance. The aroma contributes a similar distraction.

[Once again, this viewers experience while watching the 3-D version is biased because it was his first time watching the film and the screen and sound was bigger and the 3-D picture and glasses were in higher definition]

G

huh... I remember "seeing" the "Honey I shrunk the audience" thing at Disneyland when I was younger... I wouldn't mind trying that again...

G

Thanks for this news:
I post it on our site:
http://www.smellcinema.com/

SmellCinema.com STAFF

Status
Not open for further replies.