Average HDTV Today Made to Last Only a Few Years

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]I dont know why this surprises people, this is simple and dirty capitalism, every product is made tobe operational for a few years and good enough too use for an even shorter time[/citation]

On the other hand, our cars last longer now than ever before. Back in the 1950s and 1960s, cars lasted about 5 years. Now we routinely see 10 year old cars on the road. In my extended family, a new car lasts about 15 years.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
Folks, we can build things that last. But at what cost? There comes to a point where old technology has to give way to new technology.

Take TV for example. Let's say we have a law that states a TV has to last at least 10 years. We all know that will be expensive to produce, but not impossible. You spent $4000 in 2006 for a 46" plasma TV that's guaranteed to last 10 years. Then you see a 60" LED TV with many more HDMI connectors and online capability in 2011, for $3000, that will also last 10 years. If you choose to upgrade, then you have thrown away all that money that went into engineering and building something that lasts longer than what people want.

Technology advances too quickly in the world of electronics. Video cards die after a few yeras. But no one complains because we gamers upgrade our video cards after 2 to 3 years. It's pointless to build high end video cards that could last 10 years when the technology itself becomes obsolete in 2 years.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
This happens in other areas as well. My friend used to work at GE about 10 years ago making medical equipment. They made critical part weaker so that it would break sooner. . .

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]royale606[/nom]Yep. The 'seemingly best' method is making ones that break right after the warranty is up. However if my new LG lasts for less than 5 years I'll never buy LG again. The companies should take loyalty into consideration. It's that loyalty that can assure Honda that I'll be buying my third Honda next time I need a car. And that's specifically because they run significantly longer than other cars.[/citation]

I guess I should be pissed if my LG does last more than 5 years b/c then my warranty will not have been used and I will have wasted 350 bux. I would like my tv to completely die at about 4 1/2 years so I can get a brand new replacement which will be more tv for the same money I spent.

G

The US auto industry tried this crap for years until the japanese auto makers came in and took over customer loyalty by making reliable products. I'm sure eventually some manufacturer will do the same thing with TV's

PS I was listening to a radio show with a guy from pacbell back in the day. He said that when your home phone was leased to you by the company pacbell made sure the phones were designed and tested to last 30 years. Now that the loss is strictly on the customer you are lucky to get a couple of years out of them.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
This is old news. Cheap components, Bad solder joints. And poor cooling. I see lots of TV's in the garbage that simply need a Re cap or to be hit with a heat gun to work again.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]monsta[/nom]I believe the LCD technology is mostly what they are talking about. Ive had a lot of friends replace their LCD TV's while my 8 year old Samsung Plasma TV is still going strong......[/citation]
I think it's just that Samsung making better products. My Samsung 32" has been going strong for 7+ years. Though I do have two LG monitors that have been working perfectly for 4 and 7 years. So who knows, guess some people are just unlucky. I would expect them to last at least 10 years.

SlitelyOff

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
[citation][nom]royale606[/nom]It's that loyalty that can assure Honda that I'll be buying my third Honda next time I need a car. And that's specifically because they run significantly longer than other cars.[/citation]

How many Hondas in what time frame would be helpful. How many miles, etc to base this Honda is better claim?

I for one do not buy the 'Honda's are better' bit. If you take care of just about anything it will last. Honda owners "may" be simply benefiting from a mindset that Honda's are better and therefore they take better care of them in general. I personally have had 2 GM vehicles (that I still have) in the past 11 years (an '01 and an '02) that have 110k+ and 80k+ miles on them WITH NO ISSUES. But I take care of them. By brother-in-law on the other hand has had, let's see...probably no less than 10 vehicles in the past 15 years, including Honda, Toyota, Subaru, VW, Nissan and probably something else, but just count at least 1 of each and several Honda's and Toyotas. Now his vehicles were replaced because...you guessed it, he didn't take care of them. drive them over 10k miles with no oil change and the like. If you take care of them, they will probably last...cars that is.

My take on the electronics bits not lasting today is that they don't tolerate power surges very well. Build them to take that better, or put them on a UPS and I bet they last longer. The chips today can't take the power surges as well as the older solid state stuff, IMO. Get a few brown outs or black outs and there goes the device if they are not on a good filter/protector.

G

Not surprised by this. Manufacturers are probably using cheap components in their LCD TVs that work good enough for the time being. Samsung gimped out their consumers if you read about the capacitors problems or the click of death.

bidomo

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
what about Sharp TVs? I'm planning on getting an Aquos 3D, but if is gonna last 3 years, no thaks, too expensive.

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Utter rubbish.
If some manufacturer makes TVs that break often, angry owners will say everything about the product in comments. If a manufacturer gets loads of negative comments in an e-shop, other people will choose other manufacturer's goods.

bidomo

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
it could be true, and I'm not so old, but I still have 2 old TVs around the 25 years of service, I would be happy if a new LCD gives me at least 10. Another thing I noticed, new manufacturers will try to get the best quality possible, only till they meet the devil.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
tell me something that is not made to last only a feel years? Only thing I can think of are buildings, ships, air crafts! Everything else is made cheap and to last short time so they can sell you the next better model! Its been like that for like 30 years now!

G

There is ONLY 1 Brand of TV to buy, PANASONIC!

I have 3 Panasonics, one over 8 yrs, one 7 yrs and a new one 1.5 yrs old, and all work perfectly!

Seen so many LCD TV's die, except panasonics!

You want a TV, Spend a little more, buy a panasonic!

G

Well, a LOT of computer chips are designed to last about 11 years. This isn't some nefarious plot. This is electrons taking their toll as the blast through transistors that keep getting smaller. Some will last longer and some will not last that long (MEAN time between fails, not MINIMUM). Why build in extra expense to make the panel last 30 years when the rest of the part will need to be replaced before then? And, when the TV will be upgraded by then to a 4K set or a 3D set or a smellovision set or whatver the heck comes next set?

G

so much for getting more green, when companies make things to breakdown quicker and then the parts are so expensive to fix them... everyone has to bin them, so we create more toxic waste... and then we all have to get new tvs made....

whats the point of paying huge bucks in co2 taxs and trying to prevent the world from coming to a end, then the big boy companies are working against it...
the co2 taxes and green branding on things alike are just rubbish for governments to get more money and make you feel bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.