Average Teenager Never Meets 25% of Facebook Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
OMG! That's a bit disturbing.
Oh look he just said he's on vacation with his family for a week. Now would be the perfect time to rob his house.
I know 100% of my facebook friends and many of them are family.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Never meet 25% huh? Seems a bit low. I mean, seriously have they never played a FB game that required friends to get goods... talk about random friend requests being sent out.

Devoteicon

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Old news is old. The same could have been said about myspace. And we all know what happened to that place... Hopefully facefail will soon follow suit.

DirectXtreme

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
[citation][nom]Devoteicon[/nom]Old news is old. The same could have been said about myspace. And we all know what happened to that place... Hopefully facefail will soon follow suit.[/citation]
If Facebook goes the route of MySpace, something is bound to replace it. My guess is Twitter.

COLGeek, you beat me to it. Maybe people develop a higher ratio of unknown "friends" as they get older and their activities cover a wider spread? Maybe it's correlated with intelligence: dumber people stick with people they know; people with more imagination imagine that they are friends with GreenCardLawyer, whom they have never met?

An addendum. I just noticed that the title is "Never Meets 25%...," not "Did Know Know when marking them as Friends." It's the one that you did not know, friended, and _do_ meet that can kill you.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I would have met 99% of my 227 facebook friends, I dont invite/friend everyone. Maybe 5% is friends of friends who I have met on occasion. The rest I know quite well.

spentshells

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
we used to have this thing called outside when I was younger it was free to use and had no apps and I had really great luck using it in the past.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Wow got so caught up in stats that I forgot to write what i was going to write. Obviously I am not a 15yro, but the problem is trying to look popular by having lots of friends, so they friend everyone that they can. And as other have said, this can leak personal information that shouldn't get out and give strangers an easy way to contact them and location/photos.

With IM previously, you could talk to random people and it really didn't matter. All they had was a username. And as long as you were smart about it, they couldn't find out anything about you unless you told them. Now it is just free for all.

G

Most of the article: No big surprise. Why is this even news?

Then I came to this: "as well as the possibility of over a third of three and four-year-olds using the internet for TV and games"

Dafuq? Now that is messed up. Looks like we got a generation of kids with ADD coming up.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
286 friends? Zynga has games that push people to get over 500.
They should be taught how to set up dummy accounts for such things, rather than Facebook trying to make that more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.