Avira needs to be uninstalled

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2018
Windows says it can't update until I uninstall Avira Antivir, but I can't find it anywhere on my laptop. How can I uninstall something I can't find?

MERGED QUESTION
Question from olddogonhog : "Can't do a windows update because of Avira Antivir. It tells me that I have to uninstall first but I do not have it installed."

How long have you had the computer?

Have you download and installed any other apps, games, or utilities?

Could be that Avira was bundled in and you have just not noticed it yet.

Run Task Manager and look to see if Avira is running in the background. Disable and uninstall.

Jun 4, 2018

Yeas...pretty much did everything. The computer is about 3 years old, Windows 10, I haven't downloaded anything recently Don't see it running in the background. Thanks
I have done everything to find this and in search it doesn't come up with anything. I searched the Registry and the c drive.

Jun 8, 2018

Have exactly the same problem. I haven't dowloaded anything that I recall and can not find this anywhere!!!

Jun 25, 2018
i get the same problem, i just finisghed building a pc, brand new drives, cpu, everything, installed windows 10, conected to the net, windows update kicked in, then said about an update, uninstall Avira AntiVir, firstly, i hav never heard of it, 2nd ,it is a brand new pc, brand new install, the disk was blank, windows 10 came from bestbuy. windows only on disk

Jun 8, 2018

I'm in Illinois and Indiana, USA. There is something weird about this.

Sep 23, 2018
Very simple.... Uninstall Avira antivirus if its on your system. If not Then follow as under :- acting as administrator
1. Locate all instances of file avipbb.sys or other avipbb.*
2. it is difficult to delete it. so rename avipbb.sys to xyz.txt
3. move this renamed file to desktop
4. Now restart the computer and after restarting try updating to version 1803
5. it will work ( It did for me ; ) ... )
6. after completing installation of Ver 1803 ( it may take hell of a long time...) delete the xyz.txt you created

ENJOY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.