B150 Chipset for Kaby Lake?

decentgamer

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017
I know, underneath my profile pic is Motherboard Expert, but I'm not really clear about getting a B150 for a 7th Gen Intel Kaby Lake. I'm just helping out my friend making a really, really budget build.
I know I have to do a BIOS flash, but not sure if it works or nah.
This build is on a really tight budget and getting a B250 chipset mobo will just be more expensive.
So my question is, can anyone explain the whole thing about Kaby Lake support and how to BIOS flash?

Mobo: MSI B150M PRO-VD?
CPU: G3900 ( he's only using it to play LoL and other stuff )
GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA GT 710 2GB
4GB Patriot 2133 Mhz RAM.
420 Watt PSU.

Solution
Yes it is possible to use B150. Chance is, if manufacturer updated BIOS already, there would be nothing to do. However, more likely it will need to be updated. If so, you need to put SkyLake CPU into motherboard so the machine can post, and once you are in BIOS you can do the update. If you don't have any SkyLake at hand, the other option is to look for a comp shop that can do the update (usually for a fee).

DRagor

Estimable
Jan 23, 2017
Yes it is possible to use B150. Chance is, if manufacturer updated BIOS already, there would be nothing to do. However, more likely it will need to be updated. If so, you need to put SkyLake CPU into motherboard so the machine can post, and once you are in BIOS you can do the update. If you don't have any SkyLake at hand, the other option is to look for a comp shop that can do the update (usually for a fee).

Solution

decentgamer

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017

Thanks! Appreciated it. :)