Back to the Future: It's Google in a BBS Form

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]So... but how would you search the "NET" from a BBS?[/citation]

Internet capable BBS's like WinServer (Wildcat!) and Worldgroup (MajorBBS). I ran Dark Citadel BBS on a 16 node board in Oregon. The last couple of years, the system was co-located at a local ISP and all connections were over the net (telnet/http). It was like having a full suite of internet services installed with one package. The pinnacle of my evolution from the 80's and RemoteAccess and QuickBBS. Getting quite nostalgic now...

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]It sure does... Did I get this right?LOAD "*", 8, 1It's been a while...[/citation]

LOAD "*",9,1 to get it from the second drive. Although you didn't really need the ",1" if I remember right.

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
This by far is my favorite thread! The reminiscing of the good old days. I wish I still had all the ANSI graphics I created for my old BBS. If I still had them, I'de put up a telnet board for good times sake. But, Alas, No way I could set one up in default mode. And, no way I got the time to take a whole day or two to make one BBS menu pop, and then hand coding Wildcat to get awlay from the default yell, and white, to a gray, white and cool blue scheme. I do miss those days. Life was simpler back then.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Man, those were the days. I remember waiting for about 2 hours to download a game, and as I'm sitting there, staring at the blocks of data count down, right before the last few blocks, my mom would invariably decide she needed to use the phone and ruin my entire download. Grrr! I'll have fond memories of games and PC building from that era that I'll never have again. Another good thing about back then was people actually had to know how to use a computer, to use a computer. Nobody ever said to me (after begging for help) "I don't care about all that, I just want it to work..."

amigafan

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]LOAD "*",9,1 to get it from the second drive. Although you didn't really need the ",1" if I remember right.[/citation]
if I remember correctly you needed ",1" only to specify loading of machine code but it automatically detected mode so ",1" was basically for some odd cases. I remember that for loading of BASIC programs you never used ",1". Perhaps ",1" was binary/text switch.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]Darkk[/nom]Yep. I used to be a SysOp of many flavors of BBS software on various hardware. Started out on a second C64 with a 300 baud modem and 1541 disk drive. Later upgraded the modem to 1200 and much later Courier HST 14.4K which I paid $500 at the time. Final setup before I took it down was IBM 386SX-16, daughterboard upgraded Courier 14.4k to 16.8K (then software upgraded to X2), 155MB (yes megs) SCSI full height hard drive running 4.23 WWIV software.When I built my new PC running Pentium 90 and had internet access I was able to telnet into another WWIV BBS which is a cool way of not having to keep redialing until somebody finally logged off. Ah those were the days.[/citation]

Even though I ran it for a long time, I hated WWIV.. Modding the source code directly and compiling it fresh every time you wanted something new was not very convenient.. I personally liked Oblivion/Vision2 the most.. I can still remember using a black box in the phone rooms of neighboring apartment complexes to call the 900#'s to get minutes at the local MajorBBS systems in the area.. Mainly to play teleconference BRAWL with all my friends.. Does anyone still download at places with upload/download ratios?

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]It sure does... Did I get this right?LOAD "*", 8, 1It's been a while...[/citation]
Yes...Load"*",8,1 loaded the 1st program on the drive 8 and ran it. the 1 in think denoted binary.

To do a "DIR" it was load"$",8 then do a list command

hezipu566

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
even though the OSes are still in beta.
g.gif

keeneye

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Around 1986 when my son was 13 years of age, he put up a BBS called Starport BBS running WWIV then Razor out of Huntington Beach, CA.

He ran it from his bedroom and had online games (notably "Tradewars 2002" ), message bases and file downloads. He first had a 300 baud modem, but since it was so darn slow, he upgraded to a 1200 asap. That BBS was running 18 hours a day; automatically shut down at midnight and booted back up at 6am. I remember chatting with a couple of the users from time to time, who were home during the day. Such fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.