Backlight and HDMI issues

Tom_101

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
Hi guys,

I have a Lenovo z585 and a few weeks ago it just died on me. It wouldn't boot up and was just black screened so I suspected my motherboard was fried. However now it's booting up and just after the initial Lenovo startup screen, the brightness dims slowly and smoothly and the backlight then just turns off. Using a torch it's possible to see the log in screen and log in etc however the HDMI port also doesn't work. All that works is the VGA? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys

Tom

Hi,

If the laptop works using an external display that could only mean that either the built display or the graphics card has failed already since you mentioned that the HDMI port isn't working as well. Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If it will still load into a black screen but you can still see the screen using a flashlight proceed with doing a clean install of the graphics card driver. (this will be tricky specially you'll need the flashlight in order to see inside Windows)
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics card driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to the graphics card.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver from the manufacturer site of the GPU.
- Reboot the laptop once the driver has been installed.
- Do see if this will solve the problem after the reboot.
- If it will not work try to open the laptop and check the ribbon cable that connects the LCD to the motherboard.
- If all these will not work I would suggest replacing the LCD.

Here's a replacement screen for your laptop.
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Laptop-Screen-BOTTOM/dp/B00A82KCOY