Backup Software Use and Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpatters55

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Hello All,

I have our main desktop PC which has all of our documents, pictures, financial data, email, email contacts, favorites and music and a laptop that I would like to back-up. Between the two machines, the desktop is far more important. I am running Windows 7 64bit on the desktop and Windows XP SP3 on the laptop. In terms of backup, I only want to back-up the data. I don't care about the applications or OS as I can reinstall those and I would prefer to reinstall them if my hard drive crashes and I to have to replace the hard drive. I would like to keep the backup files on a SATA drive which I placed in an external enclosure. The drive can be accesses via USB or eSATA. I have looked at several sites for recommendations. Here is one I found which is pushing NovaBackup:

http://data-backup-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

I have also used Acronis which seems decent. Anyone else have a recommendation on software? Anyone have a suggestion or change on my backup technique? I would use an online source but I do not want to pay the annual fee. I figure since I am backing up home data, I can lose a month or two and it is no big deal.

Thanks, Bill

bpatters55

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007

Interesting... still not sure what the difference is between running as an application vs a service. I am guessing that a service runs in memory in the background? I chose to install as an application as I want to be able to tell the system exactly what to back-up.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

Checking the help file I got this:

A service is a special windows application that runs even if no user is logged on the system. The service can run under a special account (LocalSystem account) or under some other existing account. On Windows NT, 2000 ,XP , 2003 or Vista is recommended to run this program as a service. You decide if you want to run the program as a service or as an application in the installation program. You can also change the way the program will work from the Options dialog box.

When running Cobian Backup 9 as a service, a problem can arise: if you want to access a shared drive or folder or some non-local resource, you cannot run the service under the default system account. You must run it under an account which has network access (example: the Administrator account). In the installation program, you can choose to configure the service to run under the system or other account.

Another difference is that you cannot terminate a service the same way you close an application. You stop/start a service using the Control Panel - Administrative tools - Services icon. You can also control the service from the Options dialog box.

bpatters55

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007

Yes, I saw that which is how I determined that as a service, Cobian must automatically be starting up and running in memory vs the user starting the application. I installed the program as an application and it looks like it starts automatically as an application and places an icon in the tool bar. All I want is the program to run and do its thing on a set schedule and I think it will do that as an application.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

Fine then! I hope it serves you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.