Bad wifi signal on toshiba laptop?

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
So i bought a used toshiba laptop for cheap off a friend. Its biggest issue is it has a bad time keeping its connection to the wifi. I have a good wifi but the laptop will show one bar on the signal has dropped and then freeze whatever internet using program im on. My friend had the same issue on any wifi network she connected to, hence why she sold it cheap to me.
It doesn't always do this, but id like to fix it myself, its a Toshiba satellite C55, and it uses Qualcomm atheros ar956x network adapter which I have updated. If its an issue where i have to open the laptop up theres no way i can do that myself though.
My last resort is to buy a really long ethernet cable, Ive also considered getting an antenna but if the card itself is faulty i dont know if that would help.

Solution
In May of 2016, I bought a new Toshiba Satellite S55-C5274 from Staples.It came pre-loaded with Windows 10. This is the 1st Toshiba laptop I ever owned. But much to my dismay, the wireless has NEVER worked properly since day one after getting it unpacked from the box. Experiencing on-going intermittent wireless connectivity issue now for over a year. Wireless works okay for 15-20 minutes then starts dropping out and becoming sluggish until there is no connection. I have to manually disconnect and reconnect every 10-20 minutes in order to use Toshiba WIFI. This goes on all day and night, 24/7. Tried everything imaginable but to no avail- changed modems, updated/reinstalled wireless drivers/reset winsock, so on so forth. Thus far have...

Jesse_20

Estimable
Dec 11, 2015
If the laptop is near the wireless access point when losing connection, try getting a USB Wireless adapter. It plugs into the usb port and replaces the internal wifi card, negating the need for you to open the laptop. No installation of drivers, just plug it in and go.

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

Its literally two feet from the router. I did just by an adapter but it wont come for like a month.

Jesse_20

Estimable
Dec 11, 2015
If it's that close then it's highly likely the wifi card is going bad. I know you tried updating drivers, but you might also try uninstalling the wireless device and restart the computer to let it redetect the hardware. Not likely to work, but worth a shot while you wait.

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

I think I tried that, but ill do it again.

and3rd62

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017
In May of 2016, I bought a new Toshiba Satellite S55-C5274 from Staples.It came pre-loaded with Windows 10. This is the 1st Toshiba laptop I ever owned. But much to my dismay, the wireless has NEVER worked properly since day one after getting it unpacked from the box. Experiencing on-going intermittent wireless connectivity issue now for over a year. Wireless works okay for 15-20 minutes then starts dropping out and becoming sluggish until there is no connection. I have to manually disconnect and reconnect every 10-20 minutes in order to use Toshiba WIFI. This goes on all day and night, 24/7. Tried everything imaginable but to no avail- changed modems, updated/reinstalled wireless drivers/reset winsock, so on so forth. Thus far have found no solution other than to connect directly to the modem via ethernet cable or use a cheap Netgear wireless USB adapter for wireless. I no longer even bother to try using the Toshiba wireless since it fails every time. I really don't have a problem at this time since the wireless connectivity is excellent using the Netgear USB adapter. It's just the principle of not being able to use the WIFI on a brand new laptop that irks me. I honestly don't know if its a question of a Toshiba problem or a Microsoft problem. Windows 10 seems to have been initially plagued by wireless problems, but allegedly they now have everything fixed now which points back to Toshiba. But of course there is no acknowledgement from Toshiba of any problem with the WIFI on their laptops. Otherwise, I like the S55-C5274 but not enough to ever buy another Toshiba!

Solution