Ballmer: Over 500 New Features in WP7.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
WP7 will be an easier recommendation as an alternative once they get Mango devices on the market. I personally don't have one, but there's a lot of things about it I like. It just is missing a few important features, and Mango seems to address all of the issues I had with it. There are some (incomplete) Mango feature lists floating around, if you want more info.

Then again there are a lot of things I like about WebOS too, but Palm (and later HP) screwed the pooch on that one. They should have sold WebOS as an OS, instead of tying it to only Palm devices (and now HP). That would have helped them with hardware refreshes. They also should have been more aggressive about software refreshes.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I hope that (at least) most current Windows 7 Phones can update to Win Phone 7.5.
Possible Skype integration sounds quite intriguing.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]MeanSquare[/nom]#glassishalfempty: That shows how many were missing from WP7[/citation]iPhone didn't have support for the most primitive features in the world for quite some time. Like MMS - stuff dumbphones could do. Android wasn't all that much better off at launch.

I'm not bashing iPhone or Android here. My point is that missing features isn't nearly as important as "does it work well". Given a limited amount of time and iteration, they had to prioritize core functionality. You can add features later, but first you must have a solid foundation on which to build. Apple did the same thing, and even Android to some extent.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
I have yet to try WP7, I was turned off by the look of the UI but I keep hearing people who really like the way it works. Off topic but I think Microsoft should buy Nokia as a standalone division. Since the deal they have dropped the value of the company. Since 2007 the stock has fallen 65% to a $30B market cap. Or at least do a Microsoft Phone like the Nexus S.

G

500 new features? *sigh* I just want 20 features that work, not having to fight through hundreds of half-arsed ones to get to what I want to do.

jaksun5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I'm waiting for Ubuntu Phone 11.11. Consider how much easier it should be to create a phone OS than a desktop one is it just a matter of time before we get this?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
After a 2 year contract with another dumb phone I upgraded recently. I used iPhone, Android and WP7 from friends, shops, read reviews and spent about 6 months making my choice.

In the end I got a WP7 and I have not been disappointed, it does exactly what I expect and now they are giving me more, about 90% of which I probably won't use but it's good to know it's there.

Samsung Omnia 7, the hardware is very good but it is the OS that really impresses me.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]After a 2 year contract with another dumb phone I upgraded recently. I used iPhone, Android and WP7 from friends, shops, read reviews and spent about 6 months making my choice.In the end I got a WP7 and I have not been disappointed, it does exactly what I expect and now they are giving me more, about 90% of which I probably won't use but it's good to know it's there.Samsung Omnia 7, the hardware is very good but it is the OS that really impresses me.[/citation]

Same here, but I have the Focus. My best friend's iPhone is nice but I don't want to deal with iTunes and my only experience with Android has been sluggish touch functions and crashes. I needed a phone that worked, not necessarily the best phone with the best feature set.

And man have I used that free office integration. I wrote like a 60 page story (when transfered to desktop Word said it was 60 pages) on that sucker when waiting for classes. Haven't used Xbox live too much yet cuz I'm waiting for Plants vs Zombies. But my user experience has been flawless for the most part.

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]every day I see a picture of Ballmer, he becomes more and more monkey like![/citation]
[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]ape like even![/citation]

There's an ape for that?

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
This should be an important update, and it should boost the functionality of the phones that support it. I hope the security of the OS has been improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.