Ballmer: Xbox 360 Isn't A Gaming Console

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bublack33

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Nice Try... I guess that makes my computer monitor a flashlight and my case a heater.

BTW... The PS3 is a entertainment center and has always been promoted that way at the expense of a little higher price.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
You want the average girl to get into Xbox? Make more girl-y games, shovel ware they don't care long as it's cute and most importantly easy to pick up and play. Last thing you need to do is explain how to leparquor your character up the side if a skyscraper before throwing a hand grenade onto the head of a police officer which knocks him out and causes his Patrol Cruiser to explode and subsequently causes the car to land on the mayor of town so you can be mayor, and not get any wanted level on yourself.

Add Social networking integration, my Niece is constantly checking facebook when she's bored. Hell it's the best way for myself to tell if she wants to do something else is she's texting or trying to sneak my phone off to do a quick facebook post.

It has to be available in colors, with or without sparkles.

And it has to be cheap.

Sorry Balmer, this is all things the 360 isn't. Isn't easy to game on unless you find that 1 in 2000 game that has a no fail mode on it (or is castle crashers), costs less than $100 (because it's not a iPhone or iPodTouch which are ok to cost over $300 because of the apple logo) once you get everything you need to use it and get online, and the last time I checked the 360 only came (usually I know, limited edition consoles and such got some paint, still not sparkley) in one color.

chiller

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
I have a PS3 and a Xbox 360 and only one is an entertainment centre - I can play blu-ray/dvd, browse the internet, use BBC iplayer, ITV catchup and 4-OD plus more on my PS3. Now on my Xbox I can play DVD's and games that's about it really, I cannot sign up to sky player as I am not a gold member and where is BBC iplayer? Oh hang on, MS want that to be part of the gold package and not a free service - nice move Mr Ballbag.

Mr Ballmer you can shake your fists and shout as much as you like but you are not kidding anybody. I use both my consoles quite a lot but the Xbox 360 is a pure gaming machine for me, the PS3 is so much more.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]jdog2pt0[/nom]PS3 is an entertainment center.Xbox 360 is a gaming console.It is what it is.[/citation]
Agreed. Sorry Microsoft, you lose this one.
Now only if they actually put some real effort into the PS3 browser, then it'd be a even more viable choice. As it is, an iPod makes a better web browser through all I'm concerned.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
The Blu-Ray in a PS3 instantly makes the PS3 better than the 360 for an entertainment centre. Not to mention that PS3 also has a list of impressive features to make it a very viable entertainment hub. I've had a go with some of the entertainment features the 360 has, and while they are fun, the PS3 is much more full-featured than the 360 in this respect. I'm not bashing the 360, i just think that maybe Ballmer over-played the 360's capabilities in this respect. Also (and this is a massive side-issue) the PS3 looks nicer in terms of an entertainment hub. It's got that nice, sleek, matte black, not very intrusive outer shell that will fit in better aesthetically than the 360 which is white (black for the newest ones). Also, the actual shape of the 360, for me, screams "aggressively styled gamer console". If i was pitching the 360 to my mum as an entertainment hub, she'd take one look at it and say "it looks horrible!". While, with the PS3, she loved the looks instantly.

Still, competition is good for everyone, keep at it MS, let's see what the 360 can be made into.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Yeah sorry, Ballmer, you suck. You're completely wrong. It's a gaming console and that's it. YOUR company decided to go with a dead horse (HD) instead of the future (blu-ray). Having that said, there's no way in hell the XBOX 360 is an entertainment center. If XBOX 360 games were on blu-ray, I'd have a much different opinion.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Vampyrbyte[/nom]There will always be a place for physical media.Even if it boils down to something as primal as actually being able to physically hold and feel what you buy. Digital purchasing is empty. You get the product but not the experience. Think back to when you were really hyped about buying some game.You waited at the store, Display case in hand, you exchanged crap-talk with the cashier even though all you really wanted them to do was get on with it.You casually walked back through town and rushed home, while careful not to forget the milk and that other thing you already forgot. When you got home, you tore off that plastic wrapping, breathing in the scent of "new game case" plastic. ....

[/citation]

then i tossed the box and the disks and stored all the media digitally on a hard drive so i would never have to see the rest of the crap again. but i been doing that since the 286. WISHING for a digital only solution to the stupid box's and manuals. FINALY its here. Steam was my best friend. i even bought games over again so i didnt have to have the damn box's laying everywhere manuals i would never read and more garbage to pick up and throw away.

Sorry i just never in my life even when i was a kid could give a crap about the box's and other "fun" stuff you mentioned here. Though i do wish that memory sticks were alot cheaper and all the software came on like ssd cards like credit cards where you can just put it in a card reader and load your software. That would be ideal for me assuming i couldn't get a steam like program to hold all my programs on line for me like steam does for my games and i can just click everything at once and download it all.

If that is possible i suck at Google and someone please tell me where.

shinmalothar

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
I guess a lot of people are forgetting the fact that blu-ray technology at the present time is awful. Apart from high storage, its slow, has shocking random read speeds (hence mandatory installations for most PS3 games to counter-act this) and is still too expensive (even despite the recent price drops). Blu-ray for video works fine, for gaming its ghastly!

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Too bad current consoles are badly out of date with current technology sure they may have a few more more years tops, but i have played games on ps3 and xbox 360 that look MUCH better on a bleeding edge pc game system.
The xbox 360 lacks blu-ray which makes this less of an entertainment system and more of a gaming console.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Yo, he is right that the XBox is the only console where you are the controller, and that 15year old boys roll up sayin' "I'll take an XBox."

But pretty much missed on everything else he said.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
ps3 and xbox 360 ( i have both) are BOTH gaming consoles first, media center's second, anybody stating otherwise is kidding themselves. heck BOTH companies took losses in the beginning on each console sale knowing people would buy... wait for iit... game, so they get thier licensing fees on games now that they are making profit on consoles they are trying to sell more consoles of coarse but wait till the next console they'll want game sales again

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
i thought Xbox are the only system in the world where you play fps games so now when you noticed all your fps games sucks so now your remaking it to a media studio, so from a low quality fps game console to a mediocre media player, -_- im simply happy i dont need to be involved in this mess.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Well one day the studios will cave in and offer higher bitrate downloads and blu ray will be pointless. Until then there is always ripping it to your hard drive and watching on the Xbox through that.[/citation]

Download caps, noob. A ripped bluray is around 47GB. If you have a typical Internet cap at 30-100GB/month it does not make any sense to stream. Ive heard people saying the same thing about DVDs circa 2002....

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Vampyrbyte[/nom]This man. This man has my internets.Honestly. It might make a good living room family entertainment centre if this is 1999. However this is 2011, we want Blu-Ray. We want 2TB HDD's. We Want a web browser. We don't want to preface every instruction with the word "Xbox". We don't want to wave our arms around like an idiot. We want choice, We want Entertainment.If the Xbox is a place to watch TV.. Where the bloddy hell is the TV tuner.. Come On.Ballmer 0/10, See me after class.[/citation]

I have all that and more, its called a PC... Just get a HDMI cable.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Really the only distinct advantage Xbox 360 has is its live service. All the PS3 fanboys can say the PS3 network is as good as live but they are full of sh!t. I have both and live is quite a bit better.

Outside of that PS3 hands down wins due to blue ray, storage, features.

Status
Not open for further replies.