Ballmer: Xbox 360 Isn't A Gaming Console

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]TheWhiteRose000[/nom]Really then where's the bluray player?[/citation]

Right under the Xbox...gathering dust at my house while I watch everything on XBox.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
They both do the same f'ing thing. The only exception is the PS3 has a Blu-Ray player. I'll admit that's a great plus, but as far as I'm concerned, streaming videos from the PC is all I need.

ljport78

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I personally use my Xbox for Netflix primarily so I am inclined to agree. Bluray is alright but I have a player for that already. As stm1185 already stated Bluray will be surpassed by downloads and streaming in the future and MS knows this.

ljport78

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
PS3 is to entertainment as Nickelback is to "Rock" as Dane Cook is to "comedy" as Criss Angel is to "magic"
All will have their clueless followers that you just can't reach.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
My PC can get a blu-ray player, can hook up to my Plasma, can play the latest and greatest video games, can surf the web, can multitask better than any machine out there, can listen to music, can watch movies, can warm up my coffee through a USB stick, and much more.

And guess what. I still have a 360, a blu-ray player, and TV's covering my house :)

So tell me what the issue is again?

mage182

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
At one point I was really excited to get an XBOX360 and set it up with a tuner in my HTPC to be a media extender and watch TV on it, stream movies, music, and pics from my home server. But now I'm too afraid to for the fact that MS doesn't push Media Center enough for Ballmer to get up and make these claims.

99% of people use the 360 to play games. The other 1% use it for more. But I'm hesitant to base my households TV watching ability (no to mention having to buy 4 360s) on something that MS may cut from the next console or version of Windows.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Mine gets far more use as an entertainment device than as a gaming device.

I have no cable..I cut the cord almost a year ago now.

I netflix all the time. I get hulu from a PC but that will change once it's on xbox.
Any first run movies that netflix hasn't picked up yet I watch on Zune (in 1080p ... not the "HD" crap that netflix has)
We opened christmas presents in front of Kinect so the grandparents could join from afar with their webcams.
My whole music collection is upstairs so any time I play music it's coming through the Xbox.

I've got a separate blu-ray player that I've owned since before my Xbox. I collect a few visually intense movies but since rentals on Zune are priced so reasonably I usually go that route for my high-def stuff. It's 1080i (not full 60fps like blu-ray) but you don't notice usually.

Plus getting up to take a wiz during a movie... say "xbox pause" :)

SONY FANBOYS: Nobody was even talking to you. Ballmer didn't say it was better, didn't say the PS3 was just a game console or anything of the like. All your unwarranted flaming just makes you look insecure.

popatim

Splendid
The next xbox might be an entertainment center if they include an ATSC dual tuner and a BD player (a burner would be even better imo) becaue whats the point if I can't pause the superbowl to watch Stargate on Blu-ray...

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]mage182[/nom]99% of people use the 360 to play games. The other 1% use it for more.[/citation]
You're just pulling number off your ass. 82% of the readers knows that.
[citation][nom]popatim[/nom]becaue whats the point if I can't pause the superbowl to watch Stargate on Blu-ray...[/citation]
Now why on hell would you do that? If you don't like the sport, don't watch it at all.

I enjoy an old-fashioned console flaming wars. I can't wait for the next generation of consoles to come upon us so we can start fresh!

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Gee Ballmer, back many years ago - MS was screaming that the 360 was a gaming console and the PS3 was an entertainment center. Now its more than just a console?

Where's the BluRay? 120GB drives don't really cut it. A typical 1080p 2Hr movie needs about 25GB of space... so on a typical 360, that means a person can hold 3-4 movies and since the 360 doesn't support external drives.... well, thats out.

Meanwhile a PS3 owner can ADD an external drive, it includes the Blu-Ray Drive, and the user can self-install a 500GB, maybe a 1TB drive for $100 or less.

blah MS

Status
Not open for further replies.