Bank Worker Fired Over Facebook Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysbob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
ahh the perks of working for small business with an owner who can barely use "the email." I get to complain all I like.

G

Burned by a post on Facebook? Even fired? Check out our site where you tell your stories and meet other people like yourself..... www.FiredByFacebook.com

kriswitak

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Facebook is something that society has created making people think they need to use it. I got rid of mine a while back and personally feel less annoyed with the retarded posts and spam I used to get.

TheRockMonsi

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]FiredByFB[/nom]Burned by a post on Facebook? Even fired? Check out our site where you tell your stories and meet other people like yourself..... www.FiredByFacebook.com[/citation]

LOL, Not a better place in the world to spam about that website.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I feel like you should not be fired for what is said or done off the clock. People cheat on their spouse, steal, hate their job, complain about their job, some love their job. All of which should not be a fire-able offense, so long as you do a decent job at work. (I do wish people who cheat on their spouse would get punishment).

Every time i get mad at my job, it usually means management or upper management isn't doing their job.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]chaosgs[/nom]I feel like you should not be fired for what is said or done off the clock. [/citation]
You are wrong and I can get you to admit it (if you are honest) in 2 seconds. Do you think that if I work as the VP of Marketing for say, Apple, and then I post a YouTube video about how Apple products suck, then I should get to keep my job? My example was extreme, I know, but now that I have you (if you are honest) admitting that somethings you do "off the clock" are fire-able offenses, now it is just a matter of deciding when someone has crossed that line. Clearly in my extreme example Apple would feel that I was hurting their company image and public perception of their products and therefore their bottom line. Do you think perhaps (if you are honest) that maybe, just maybe, given the negative comments she made about the bank that they felt the same way?

G

I fully support the right of any employer to fire anyone talking shit about their boss or the company where the boss/company can see. Stupid people do not deserve job security!

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
IMHO what is said or done off the clock if it is well within reason (complaining about your job on your own time unless it's slander is fine in my book) should not be something that your employer can fire you over. I'm a Canadian and not a litigous person by nature but they should be sued into oblivion sorry she's off the clock boys she can say you guys suck all she wants as long as it's not slander,

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
..... i think now is a good time to up my privacy,, Why should i let every tom dick n harry view my status updates when i'm not friends with them, jeeze, im not that important.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]overclockingrocks[/nom]IMHO what is said or done off the clock if it is well within reason (complaining about your job on your own time unless it's slander is fine in my book) should not be something that your employer can fire you over. I'm a Canadian and not a litigous person by nature but they should be sued into oblivion sorry she's off the clock boys she can say you guys suck all she wants as long as it's not slander,[/citation]

Fist off it doesn't matter where your from. Your opinion is still like everyone else, a dingle-berry on the ass of society just like mine.

This woman deserved very much so to be fired. She admitted to being a financial burden to the company, she got what she deserved when she's working for a company who's job it is SPECIFICALLY to make money by investing it properly. And she was a poor investment. So what do you do when you have a poor investment? Sell and cut your losses.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Perhaps, like many people on facebook and such should keep their job life separate from their private life? How hard is that? Or perhaps, not have a facebook page at all. I don't have one.

She didn't like her job, she should have been looking.

G

If the company was defamed at all by posting it in an extreme manner then yes, she should be fired. But posting something that you only expect some friends to see etc.. should not be taken this far by any company. In fact, by doing this, they expose themselves to more negative feedback than what she could have ever generated herself.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]BulkZerker[/nom]Fist off it doesn't matter where your from. Your opinion is still like everyone else, a dingle-berry on the ass of society just like mine. This woman deserved very much so to be fired. She admitted to being a financial burden to the company, she got what she deserved when she's working for a company who's job it is SPECIFICALLY to make money by investing it properly. And she was a poor investment. So what do you do when you have a poor investment? Sell and cut your losses.[/citation]
True but they still need a reason to terminate you. Otherwise it can turn into wrongful termination (which depending where you live, can be illegal). Although it isnt hard to find a valid reason to fire any person, you would still need one (and if they used the post as one; unless there is a clause in the employee contract, then they dont have a valid reason).

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
"If you are wondering how many more employees will be fired before they realize how important keeping their facebook profiles private is, then great minds think alike."

How about not haveing a facespook account? It´s even more safer and you actually have privacy.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Perhaps, like many people on facebook and such should keep their job life separate from their private life? How hard is that? Or perhaps, not have a facebook page at all. I don't have one.She didn't like her job, she should have been looking.[/citation]
If you had friends you would have one, otherwise it would be pretty useless ;)

Shaun o

Distinguished
There is such a thing as your own stupidity, leaving you open to your own downfall.
In Katie`s case it is exactly what happend.
Not alot of people like there jobs, or some of the people they have to work with.
But you dont hand write a letter telling them that do you, or to your boss.
Or you could leave it lying around for someone else to find.
Sure your own ass would be on the line if you did.
Think about what you are doing before you do it.

john_e

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I find companies who check their employees profile are invading their employees privacy and are using facebook to spy or checkup on their employees. The companies who do that, should be sued. They have no business checking on their employees private lives.

People use this medium to vent their frustrations, some are more vocal then others. However the above employee has specifically used the companies name and therefore pays the price of her stupidity.

What annoys me is that I FEEL both parties are wrong, her for naming the company by name, and company using Facebook to spy on her and fire her.

Company using Facebook to spy on their future applicants before being hired, or using FB to monitor their employees free speech is getting out of control and sooner or later a company will be sued for invasion of privacy. It all takes 1 greedy lawyer and a civil suit.

ltgrunt

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Facebook isn't private unless you take the time to set your profile that way. If you're going to use Facebook, then you have to be ready to accept the consequences for saying things in a very public arena. It's no different than shouting your comments through a megaphone in the middle of a crowded sports stadium.

Observing how employees conduct themselves and represent your business in public is not "spying" in any realistic sense.

If you want to write down your feelings but have no one read it and suffer no consequences for doing so, get a diary. Getting fired because of something you post on a social network is no one's fault but your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.