Barebones Laptop kit

boss_nate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I need someone to help me with a barebones kit, I have looked and looked but I can't find any good ones, can somebody please help me? Please post links or models with brands!!

Here are some questions I have answered, I basically want a good, reliable, upgrade able, and something that's not limited to just 1 operating system, **cough cough** like my dell inspiron 1764.... (it can only use windows 7 64-bit)

1. What is your budget?

around 600-800 USD

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Any as long as it's expandable, e.g. lots of accessories, upgrades, gpu upgrades for sure.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1920x1080 17.3", or a 15"

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

not really, needs to have major processing and GPU power (I like the Intel CPU's and nvidia)

5. How much battery life do you need?

Doesn't really pose a problem to me, I usually have it plugged in or for 2-3 hour long car rides for movies (can be upgraded later on though)

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

YES, I'll probably play minecraft, source games, garrysmod on a minimum 60fps high settings, other games would include fallout 3, battlefield bad company 2, black ops, etc

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Virtual machines, data

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Not really worried about it since it's a barebones kit (maybe a raid???)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I haven't found anywhere to get a barebones kit.... But I do like newegg.com and amazon.com

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Long enough

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

All of them, but i will upgrade that later it's pretty cheap (or at least it should be)

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I like dell, my uncle works for them, but i hate their new integrated graphics from intel, (reason why im getting a barebones kit) my first laptop was a toshiba satellite, that thing was amazing.

13. What country do you live in?

The united states

Thanks for the help!!!

Umm laptops aren't upgradable. I don't know of any laptop that lets you switch out the gpu. As for switching drive, good luck, slim OEM drives are 5x what it costs for an external so if you want to get dvd-rom now and switch to blu-ray later, good luck cause if they don't make a bluray drive for that model, you're sol.

Most are very limited in even the cpu's you can use and upgrade in them as the bios is locked to certain models/fsb/etc.

boss_nate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

I don't think you know what you're talking about. I understand where you're going with this, but it's a barebones, it means you get the laptop with the motherboard along with it and sometimes you do have to buy stuff. Oh and internal HDD's aren't as bad as you think. sure you can't get a 3.5' 1TB but you can get good deals. And actually for GPU's I think I saw something about Alienware's new laptops.

-I use google :)

chaorace

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
you're both right, in very different ways...
Barebones laptops are locked to the GPU you choose when it ships (usually)
Not only are there 3.5' 1TB drives, but there are 2.5' 2TB drives!
Optical drives can be switched (and are, in a way universal).
Finnaly, I'm not sure exactly what you want in a barebones, but check out RJtech (google it) they have all the barebones you'll ever need!

EDIT:
A Low-medium range gaming laptop should suit your needs, Allow me to suggest the Clevo W150HNQ (also on RJTECH)

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
do you realize how expensive cpus and gpus for laptops are? minimum of 300 each from what i understand. on top of that you have ram hhd and optical drive. that will be around 150 minimum. all that for what? you will gain nothing unless you can find a laptop mobo that the gpu doesnt have to be soldered into place if not there is no upgrade path for the gpu.

chaorace

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
???
you make it sound like hell!
The GPU is already integrated in the barebones, which is around 400.
The CPU is between 250 and 300
8GB of ram is 100
500GB of HDD is 100
And laptops don't require soldering, they have sockets

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
no laptop gpus are soldered to the board. they are not like desktops aka removable. but i was under the thought that the gpu wasnt included but i guess not. also it is my understanding that a consumer can not get a 2630qm new. im sure that you can find a way to get one but intel doesnt list a price for them cause they are just sent to manufacturers. that leaves the 2720qm which sells for 400.

Pyree

Distinguished
try to find a mobo which use mxm if you want your gpu to be upgradable. IMO, upgrading laptop for long term is not worth it since mobo fits into one chassis and after 2 or 3 years of usage, there will be a new platform and you have to get a new mobo, which also mean a new chassis and the new platform will use different socket so new cpu and probably ddr4 and by then I think you will want better graphics, so you are pretty much getting a new laptop. But yes, it is good for incremental upgrade within short time frame.

Pyree

Distinguished

Yes there are a type A connection and B type. So you will always need to find the right connection type for upgrade.

technerd95

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

are you stupid or just retarded. people like you need to get the hell off the internet. until you learn something about computers and building them dont comment on things you dont know about

RegularGeek

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

So, you've removed covers from few different laptop models? And you've found that they got integrated GPUs on motherboard? Just as most ATX (desktop) motherboards have...

However, at least some of Acer, Asus, Lenovo, Fujitsu-Siemens and MSI laptops have add-in GPU cards that can be removed and swapped with another card (if you just could find one).

Just FYI: Your posts clearly contains misinformation and you clearly do not know what you are talking about. You should either edit or remove your posts.

RegularGeek

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Good question, getochkn.
One really good reason is to correct misinformation as these old threads happens to pop up while querying web search engines for this and that.

Is that against rules or something?

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
laptop gpus with high end models are not soldered to the motherboard, google MXM 3.0 if you dont believe me. if you are looking for a good barebones kit, look at rj tech. msi has a wonderful model there going for about 750 (and can hold 2 hard drives, despite it's 15 inch chassis.) the only laptop on that list that has a soldered gpu is the 11 inch model, which is too small to hold a mxm slot

indinfer

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I have never built my own laptop, nor have I swapped boards on a laptop. I did see this article dated August 1, 2008 at this link on ComputerShopper: http://www.computershopper.com/slideshow/build-your-own/build-your-own-laptop/step-1.

How to find barebones cases, motherboards, and components is beyond me. After searching for some hours, I still have not found any source.