"Barn Find" Acer Aspire 3100 won't hold battery after charge.

Chevy_Monsenhor

Estimable
Dec 2, 2014
I found a funny Acer Aspire 3100 on the stock of my work , i asked the boss if i could keep it and he gave it to me , said it was from an agronomist that got out of the enterprise , in 2006.
The notebook looks brand new and despite some dirt over the top , it's really clean and works nicelly.
I bought a charger, it turned on without any fails and i began to install Ubuntu on it.
I tried to disconnect and saw the battery level go from 100% to 90% in about 2 minutes and after 10 minutes it was in 50%.
I then tried to install Windows XP for a test , same history.
I wanted to know if there's anything i can do this laptop without changing the battery , or if this is normal to the model.

Thanks since.
Chevy.

Solution
I'd say the battery probably needs replacing. Especially if it has been sitting for a long time.

You could try to deep cycle it a few times and see if it recovers it. This requires fully charging it (with the power off) and then fully draining it, and repeat this a few times.

However my initial feeling is that it's not going to recover and you'll need to replace it. You should be able to find the battery on the net.

Samat

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
The battery has just lost it's capacity to hold charge over time, this can happen even if the battery isn't used. You can use it having it plugged to the wall all the time or try to find a new battery for it.

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
I'd say the battery probably needs replacing. Especially if it has been sitting for a long time.

You could try to deep cycle it a few times and see if it recovers it. This requires fully charging it (with the power off) and then fully draining it, and repeat this a few times.

However my initial feeling is that it's not going to recover and you'll need to replace it. You should be able to find the battery on the net.

Solution

Chevy_Monsenhor

Estimable
Dec 2, 2014

I'm beggining to do this right now , it would be better if the battery recovered from sitting like that...