Barnes & Noble Honeycomb E-Reader this Month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
LCD e-reader: Very bad idea.

Even the iPad's IPS LCD display is not the kind of thing you'd want to read a whole book on. It's probably not that bad but e-paper is much much MUCH better.

distracteddaddy

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Sorry, I disagree. I love my NC and I use it primarily as an eReader. I read in bed with my Wife asleep, so a back light is a requirement. Try and get that with E-ink. Oh, NC is IPS as well. Did I mention it's a color display? Sorry, E-ink, e-paper or any similar tech, until you are at least back lit you don't make my list.

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
These LCD screens are just horrible for reading. As an attorney, I have to read print text on an LCD all day, and to be honest, some days I'd rather be water-boarded. Distracteddaddy's complete misunderstanding of technology aside, reflective screens are the only way to go when it comes to text.

I have a Nook 3G, which was a pretty good E-reader, far surpassing the Nook Color. But with the recent direction B&N has taken, I'm thinking of switching over to Amazon. At least they won't be abandoning the Kindle line like B&N has the Nook line. I'm pretty frustrated with B&N right now.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I only want a Nook Color to root it with Honeycomb, so as long as the price doesn't go above $250 I'll consider one.

Any more expensive and I'd rather wait for more 10 inch tablets to be released.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]i was once in a Barnes & Noble i a got kicked out because i was putting all the bibles in the "fiction" section[/citation]
Hahaha!!

txsouthpaw

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]i was once in a Barnes & Noble i a got kicked out because i was putting all the bibles in the "fiction" section[/citation]

LOL

knownballer

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
[citation][nom]bardia[/nom]These LCD screens are just horrible for reading. As an attorney, I have to read print text on an LCD all day, and to be honest, some days I'd rather be water-boarded. Distracteddaddy's complete misunderstanding of technology aside, reflective screens are the only way to go when it comes to text. I have a Nook 3G, which was a pretty good E-reader, far surpassing the Nook Color. But with the recent direction B&N has taken, I'm thinking of switching over to Amazon. At least they won't be abandoning the Kindle line like B&N has the Nook line. I'm pretty frustrated with B&N right now.[/citation]

I honestly would go that extreme as buying into kindle puts you in a closed system. I have an iPad and a regular nook. I also bough a nook color for my mom for Christmas. While I like my nook, the problem is that it's really not useful for reading earnings reports, which was a very big reason why I got one. The size isn't big enough, and when deciding on a bigger ereader, a tablet just makes more sense. The iPad, while being very overpriced, is great at a lot of reading I do, including online reading. After tuning down the brightness I found it to be very manageable though I wish the brightness could go a bit lower for night.

They both have their benefits, but I think B&N is till trying to find where they compete in this digital world. Having a tablet may be the answer. If your really interested in a bigger tablet I suggest the ASIs epad as it comes built to be used as a notebook and tablet. Its received very good reviews.

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Sorry... But, if I wanted a tablet PC, then I would buy a tablet PC. I do not like the route B&N (and Amazon, according to rumors) are going with these new "E-Readers". E-Readers are supposed to mimic the experience you get when reading a book, not the experience you get from a using a PC (emails, internet surfing, games.. yadda yadda yadda).

Amazon Kindle is tops for a reason.. reasonably priced, book-like e-ink, light weight and long battery life. Basic, Simple and does what it supposed to do. Now you get these "E-readers" coming out (B&N NC) that are big, bulky, cost more money, do a bunch of things other then reading (the whole point of it) and have battery life of about 8 hours (if you are lucky). Even the Nook got to "cute" with the color touch screen... all that did was cut battery life down drastically for no other reason then to be trendy with touch and to say they had color added.

Sorry.... but these things are not for me. So, note to Amazon.... if you want to try your hand in the tablet PC market, then by all means, go for it. BUT, do not mess with the winning formula that is Kindle. Name your tablets something else and keep the Kindles as true E-Readers, do that and I think you will see people continue to choose you over B&N.

G

@captaincharisma 05/06/2011 6:43 AM
"i was once in a Barnes & Noble i a got kicked out because i was putting all the bibles in the "fiction" section"

Geez dude, I think that joke literally dates back at *least* 30 years. Can't wait to see your stand-up based on "Why did the chicken cross the road?"

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]OldestJokesInWorld[/nom]@captaincharisma 05/06/2011 6:43 AM"i was once in a Barnes & Noble i a got kicked out because i was putting all the bibles in the "fiction" section"Geez dude, I think that joke literally dates back at *least* 30 years. Can't wait to see your stand-up based on "Why did the chicken cross the road?"[/citation]

someone didn't get a hug from there mom this morning :) theres always a hater

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I got my wife the kindle for christmas 2 years ago and she never put it down. Last christmas I bought her the nook color to give her a second option - and because it was advertised as having interactive kids books too (for our 2 year old). Since then, she prefers to read on the nook color because of the backlight. we both admit that the eink is easier on the eyes, and the battery lasts MUCH longer (she's always complaning that she has to charge her NC almost every day), but the backlight has been the biggest feature for as she reads a lot at night while I'm sleeping. Yes I got her a light for the kindle - but it's not the same.

They both are very good devices, but I agree with KT_WASP above, if amazon decides to go the same route - they should make sure they keep moving forward with BOTH product lines as there is a time and place for both devices.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
[citation][nom]bardia[/nom]These LCD screens are just horrible for reading. As an attorney, I have to read print text on an LCD all day, and to be honest, some days I'd rather be water-boarded. Distracteddaddy's complete misunderstanding of technology aside, reflective screens are the only way to go when it comes to text. I have a Nook 3G, which was a pretty good E-reader, far surpassing the Nook Color. But with the recent direction B&N has taken, I'm thinking of switching over to Amazon. At least they won't be abandoning the Kindle line like B&N has the Nook line. I'm pretty frustrated with B&N right now.[/citation]

B&N has not abandoned the Nook line, the e-ink Nook is still available, they just don't need to release 3 different e-ink devices when the one they have is good enough. Amazon has released newer e-ink devices to target different audiences.

Also, Distracteddaddy is not off his mark, if you want to read in a dark room then the e-ink is not really a better option since it is not back-lit. Then you need LCD. Of course, it is the reverse with direct sun light, then e-ink is better. In a standard lit room (not direct sun light, not in the dark) either device works fine.

As to B&N's direction with the color screen e-readers, its because they are trying to bring to market tablet like devices that can have use beyond just reading. You can watch YouTube on a Nook Color and play farmville on facebook w/ the flash support. This is not something you can do on an e-ink screen ... or in some cases even an iPad (anything flash driven). So it gives them a distinct market to stand out from the Amazon's and Apples.

G

@captaincharisma i was once in a Barnes & Noble i a got kicked out because i was putting all the bibles in the "fiction" section

How did you make room between all the global warming and Keynesian economics books?

Status
Not open for further replies.