Barnes & Noble Unveils Nook Simple Touch With GlowLight

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

@classzero, rumor has it that Amazon has displayed a prototype with a similar technology - so it's extremely likely.

G

Or... you can just get a Kindle cover with a built-in night light. Problem solved. And tomsj, your iPad doesn't have that easy-on-the-eyes e-ink technology.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]frank_drebin[/nom]reading in bed with light off is bad for your eyesight[/citation]
Basing your definition of unhealthy activities on unsubstantiated anecdotal rumors is bad for your eyesight.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]tomsj[/nom]Gee, this has never been a problem for with my iPad.[/citation]
...other than being 5X the purchase price and much, much shorter battery life?

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]frank_drebin[/nom]reading in bed with light off is bad for your eyesight[/citation]
good thing they're putting a light on it then

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Pure win. No Amazon book monopolization and no retina burning LCD backlight.

I have a Nook 1st gen, finally think its time to upgrade.

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Huh....
This remind anyone else of early Nintendo devices with Backlights?

The Gameboy Advanced SP required light to view, and in the dark you could turn on the backlight.

hairystuff

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Jamie_1318[/nom]Huh....This remind anyone else of early Nintendo devices with Backlights?The Gameboy Advanced SP required light to view, and in the dark you could turn on the backlight.[/citation]

same as the 1st old fat DS (and early pda's) with transreflective displays, making them usable in outdoor light and saving battery in day light.

G

OMG im so happy but what about the REGULAR NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH i have one and now im furious i cant get this now

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]Pure win. No Amazon book monopolization and no retina burning LCD backlight.I have a Nook 1st gen, finally think its time to upgrade.[/citation]
I like Amazon's services better, myself, but I don't believe they have a monopoly. Lots of people use Nooks and whatnot. You've been listening to Apple too much.[citation][nom]tanman6711[/nom]OMG im so happy but what about the REGULAR NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH i have one and now im furious i cant get this now[/citation]You have plenty of options:

1) Get a Lyra Light for your Nook.
2) Get over it. Technology advances all the time.
3) Leave a light on. Go to another room and sit in a chair with a light source nearby if necessary.
4) Sell your old one and buy a new one. See option 2 for further instructions.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Um, what kind of retinas do you have? K-Mart?[/citation]Any avid reader knows that e-ink devices are superior for long-term use. They reduce eyestrain significantly and are just more pleasant and natural to read, especially late at night just before you go to sleep. They are much more like reading an actual book, vs. a backlit LCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.