Solved! Battery Bank For Gaming-Grade Laptop

famillybaror

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017
I am looking at the MSI GS63VR laptop with a GTX 1060, and I was wondering if there any battery banks out there that could charge this thing, since the battery is not that good.

I really like the ascetics and the specs of this laptop, but again, the battery life, especially while idle, is not very good. I need this laptop to last me anywhere from 2 to 5 hours while in school, and maybe 1 to 2 hours while doing moderate gaming on the go.

It needs a battery bank capable of putting out 180W of power to charge this thing. I don't really care that much about the capacity but I would rather a battery bank to charge the battery about halfway (if even possible) Thanks for the assistance!

Update: I just saw in the specs that this laptop can be charged via the Thunderbolt 3 port, up to 5V/3A so if someone would recommend a battery bank for this as well, it might just be a better option.

Solution
Consider a car battery - seriously, if you want any additional runtime above an hour:
Consider following ideal case (no losses here and there):
- at 180W, you would draw 15Amps at 12 volts;
- average passenger vehicle car battery is about 50Ah (amp-hours)
- divide 50 by 15 = three hours runtime off a car battery

Go figure!
Consider a car battery - seriously, if you want any additional runtime above an hour:
Consider following ideal case (no losses here and there):
- at 180W, you would draw 15Amps at 12 volts;
- average passenger vehicle car battery is about 50Ah (amp-hours)
- divide 50 by 15 = three hours runtime off a car battery

Go figure!

Solution