Battery Life Difference between different Skylake Processor and Display Options

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I'm shopping for a replacement for my HP Spectre 13t-3000...tired of the image retention on the QHD screen and the battery life has been "alright" with Bluetooth off and screen brightness below 30%. While I normally only use my ultrabook for web browsing and some productivity (e.g. MS Office) I do appreciate nice snappy performance AND long battery life. That being said, with the current (or even prior Broadwell) what is an average battery life difference I can expect between a:

i5-6200U with FHD
i5-6200 with QHD
i7-6500U with QHD (I haven't seen any with FHD)

Those seem to be the configurations most common on the high-end ultrabooks. I'm assuming the display will contribute most to battery life difference but not sure of i5 vs. i7 for relatively non-taxing activities. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
There should not be too much difference between the i5 and i7, but naturally the i7 should consume a little more power because it has 1MB more cache and runs at higher clockspeed.

A QHD screen will drain more power than a FHD screen because it has a lot more pixels that needs power. By how much it is hard to say. The Dell XPS 13 with the FHD screen has a bit over 11 hours of "typical usage" of battery life (I think it is rated for 15 hours). The version with the QHD screen gets about 9.5 hours of "typical usage" battery life.
There should not be too much difference between the i5 and i7, but naturally the i7 should consume a little more power because it has 1MB more cache and runs at higher clockspeed.

A QHD screen will drain more power than a FHD screen because it has a lot more pixels that needs power. By how much it is hard to say. The Dell XPS 13 with the FHD screen has a bit over 11 hours of "typical usage" of battery life (I think it is rated for 15 hours). The version with the QHD screen gets about 9.5 hours of "typical usage" battery life.

Solution