Battery Stops Charging at 95%. Any way to enable continuous charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VonShnitzel

Estimable
Nov 3, 2014
Recently got an ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH71 gaming laptop, and while it works spectacularly, I have one big issue. When the battery reaches 95%, it stops charging. I don't need to know the "why" of this situation, I recognize that it's generally better for the battery when it isn't constantly charging like that.

In normal situations, I wouldn't really care. The problem is that I use it for gaming a lot. Laptop batteries, even those in gaming laptops, are somewhat infamous for not being powerful enough to run games on battery power alone, and this is no exception. Once the charger stops supplying power, I pretty consistently get drops of 20-30 fps every 10 seconds or so. This makes it extremely difficult to properly play against other people with any degree of success, and in singleplayer games it's just plain annoying. Is there any way to force a constant charge?

Thanks in advance

Solution
"Once the charger stops supplying power, I pretty consistently get drops of 20-30 fps every 10 seconds or so."
I'd say this is only indirectly related to the stopping of battery charging. Check power settings in Windows or ASUS/ROG software if you have any. I cannot specify because I never used a ROG myself.
A friend of mine has an Asus ROG and he uses it without a battery without an issue. Also, I guess not many people know this, but ROGs are built pretty badly actually, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was a production error of some kind.
Another thing... " infamous for not being powerful enough to run games on battery power alone" It still draws power from the charger when it reaches 95%, it just isn't charging the battery anymore...

matijapkc

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
"Once the charger stops supplying power, I pretty consistently get drops of 20-30 fps every 10 seconds or so."
I'd say this is only indirectly related to the stopping of battery charging. Check power settings in Windows or ASUS/ROG software if you have any. I cannot specify because I never used a ROG myself.
A friend of mine has an Asus ROG and he uses it without a battery without an issue. Also, I guess not many people know this, but ROGs are built pretty badly actually, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was a production error of some kind.
Another thing... " infamous for not being powerful enough to run games on battery power alone" It still draws power from the charger when it reaches 95%, it just isn't charging the battery anymore.
And probably your best bet: post on ASUS/ROG forums, you have a really high chance of getting an ASUS/ROG expert replying to you.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.