Battery won't charge

qsold

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014
I bought a battery to replace/backup my 2-3 year old battery which is showing some wear. It's shown some odd behavior and I'm just seeing if there's anything else I can try before returning the battery.

Behavior:

1. I've never gotten a good reading on any battery software (such as HWMonitor). When I first got it, it showed a max capacity but no current capacity. Now it shows neither. It only shows a voltage (12.185V) and a wear level (100%).

2. When I first got it, it was charged; it ran for over 2 hours without AC adapter.

3. When I connect the AC adapter, the charging light (orange) comes on for about 10 seconds and then changes to indicating as being fully charged (white). When I first got it, I let it charge while powered off. It remained charging (orange) for at least a day and never showed as fully charged (white).

4. When booting, HP shows a 601 battery error. UEFI doesn't have a battery test option. I did try HPs battery diagnostics in HP Support Assistant and it just crashes during check. (I confirmed the software works fine as it ran on the other battery). I'm not sure what that software does and if it's any different than the third party apps.

5. I've tried recallibration techniques (uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery drivers, rebooting, etc) which hasn't done anything. I'm guessing it's not a Windows issue anyway.

Should I assume this is a defective battery? Or is there anything else I can try before returning it?

Thanks.

Solution
yeah they don't have such checks. If the battery firmware is compliant with the current level expected by the note book BIOS, they work. If it's not they don't.

Sony did this for a while, and it was so easily defeated that even they gave up.

The issue here is you can buy genuine product for only a little little more than cheap OEM. So it's not worth it to even use the better OEMs (my third party is charging 70 bucks for this battery). I buy around 250 batteries a year.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-HP-Pavilion-14-ab000-15-ab000-17-g000-series-800049-001-KI04-Battery/263016482601

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
I'd assume the battery isn't fully compatible with the unit. The problem with third party batteries is they don't always get the firmware right for compatibility.

What country are you in? some third party guys make really good stuff. What laptop is it?

Mark RM

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
yeah they don't have such checks. If the battery firmware is compliant with the current level expected by the note book BIOS, they work. If it's not they don't.

Sony did this for a while, and it was so easily defeated that even they gave up.

The issue here is you can buy genuine product for only a little little more than cheap OEM. So it's not worth it to even use the better OEMs (my third party is charging 70 bucks for this battery). I buy around 250 batteries a year.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-HP-Pavilion-14-ab000-15-ab000-17-g000-series-800049-001-KI04-Battery/263016482601

Solution