Beatles Sell 2,000,000 iTunes in a Week

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]theyre music isnt even that great tbh. not my taste so dont flame me over that. i find them overrated[/citation]
Wow you had to be commenter, just to say you don't like them? Maybe you can hang out outside of Paul McCartney's house and yell that to him.

G

Curious to me that Beatles fans didn't already have the music. Sounds to me like a lot of hype purchasing going on here. People just buying stuff because they think it makes their collection cooler. Any real Beatles fan already had the music.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom], and a CD contains absolutely zero DRM. More than 20 years old, and the CD is still the absolute best readily available music format.[/citation]
Depends on the CDs, I've seen many CDs that will not work on computers cause of the DRM the company put in them, not to mention those CDs that automatically install rootkits when inserted into computers. No viruses or DRM, yea right.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I abandoned The Beatles years ago as I refused to pay again for every album for CD versions when I just wanted specific songs. So I stopped listening to their music on the digital era, but also because I was very saturated and looking for other options.

Two reason to buy now:
I could buy the songs I wanted.
They sound "better than ever", at least to me. Apparently the songs are a new mixing job.

Years after some of the songs amaze me at what the Beatles created in the late sixties.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Depends on the CDs, I've seen many CDs that will not work on computers cause of the DRM the company put in them, not to mention those CDs that automatically install rootkits when inserted into computers. No viruses or DRM, yea right.[/citation]
Actually those "CDs" are not really cds eventhough they use the same medium. Philips prohibited the use of the compact disc logo on cds with drm and rootkits. So if you buy a cd you won't have a problem.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Why on earth anyone would pay $1 for a digital version of a song is beyond me. Once they're $0.10 each, then maybe I'll think about it.

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Why people continue to buy lossy-compressed music versus a CD is beyond me. A CD can be ripped into whatever format you desire. MP3 or AAC or any of the lossless formats. And 10 years from now when some new format is invented, you can rip it into that new format. A CD also has higher audio quality than any lossy-compressed music. A CD can never get viruses, you don't lose it when your hard drive crashes, and a CD contains absolutely zero DRM. More than 20 years old, and the CD is still the absolute best readily available music format.[/citation]
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Why people continue to buy lossy-compressed music versus a CD is beyond me. A CD can be ripped into whatever format you desire. MP3 or AAC or any of the lossless formats. And 10 years from now when some new format is invented, you can rip it into that new format. A CD also has higher audio quality than any lossy-compressed music. A CD can never get viruses, you don't lose it when your hard drive crashes, and a CD contains absolutely zero DRM. More than 20 years old, and the CD is still the absolute best readily available music format.[/citation]

I guess for the same reason people use Bit Torrent for movies....

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]mj4358[/nom]I guess for the same reason people use Bit Torrent for movies....[/citation]
People use bit torrent for movies because they don't pay.

jp182

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
[citation][nom]theshonen8899[/nom]Why people continue to use iTunes and their horrible DRM versus Amazon MP3 is far beyond the scope of my knowledge.[/citation]

As I learned this week, one thing that iTunes has over Amazon is that at least I can download the song I paid for more than once.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
[citation][nom]your_a_flange[/nom]@wotan31You enjoy you're 30,000 discs and jewel cases taking up half of your 1 bedroom apartment. I'll use that space for a scorpion tank, pizza cat figurines and replicas of samurai warriors and put all that music onto a 2TB RAID1.[/citation]

If I understand it correctly, RAID1 won't help when the bad power supply burns the box with all it's HDDs. :)

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
The Beatles are one of the top musical acts ever in the world. Anyone who plays or actually understands music would know this. People into that 150 bpm techno bullshit, swearing rappers with a story to tell about their so-called gang life, or moody alternative groups who claim they're in it for the music and not the money just don't get it.

In 40 years from now The Beatles will still be talked about and still selling records (along with Zeppelin, Stones, Clapton, Hendrix and many others). All the shit you are listening to now will be long forgotten and very few artists from today will be remembered as having contributed anything to the musical world worth hanging on to.

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Because you moron, Amazon is not available anywhere, iTunes is easy as hell to use, and IT DOESN'T HAVE DRM you piece of shit.[/citation]

Got our panties in a wad do we?

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
@smochina

Ya' know ...they say that decafinated brands are just as tasty ...give'em a try ...

I would hate to know you in real life if this sort of thing makes you THAT angry. You must be miserable ...

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Why people continue to buy lossy-compressed music versus a CD is beyond me. [/citation]

Because a CD can fit only 80 minutes of music, you get a bunch of other crappy songs along with the one you wanted, CDs get damaged, weigh a lot (problem if you change apartments frequently) and for most people the music quality 'bottleneck' is not the lossy compression but their speakers, environment (loud computers for example) and/or hearing. And yeah, music nerds don't get laid, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.