Beijing Apple Store Ups Security to Fight Scalpers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This "Mac users pay too much and are idiots etc etc" is simply amusing... In a Mac you pay for example (in my case) for a laptop that 2 years later still turns on in 40 seconds, runs everything (except games of course, thats why I have a XBOX) perfectly smooth and simply had had no breaks ever. How much is this worth? A lot imo... Stop hating people just because they chose diferently than you! And BTW, this idiots macbook cost me 900 Bucks new in Portugal.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]xkm1948[/nom]I feel bad for being a Chinese now~~~~~~~~[/citation]

Don't.

Look back over a lot of the "Crazes" in US and other countries history. Cabbage patch dolls, Black Friday rush crazes, Tickle Me Elmo, whatever. High demand = high craze, means people put their crazy hats on instead of their thinking caps. No matter what country you are from or what lineage you claim. People with disposable income can be made to act quite irrationally with it if something becomes popular.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
If these scalpers go through the proper procedures to open an authorized Apple store of their own wouldn't this let them legally sell the iPhone?

gewehr37

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
I'm not going to make up some story about my ex not knowing how to install stuff on her PC and then try to pass that off as all PC users blow, cuz it's simply not the truth.

Why all the hate bro??

you may as well say the same thing to yourself before you post "China is ridiculous" because too many ppl trying to buy iphone
so how does your logic work?

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Why all the hate for mac's? They are business and art oriented computers, and they do their job damned well. Plus the warranty and customer service is completely unbeatable by any other company. Yeah, I am a very big fan of microsoft, I absolutely adore the zune, I love Windows, Yet I cannot stay away from my macbook. Whenever I get on a regular PC laptop or desktop, I feel absolutely powerless. Yeah you get used to it, but everything is just designed for you in a mac. I really don't see a point in mac desktops, except for graphical art use, but a windows pc can do that just as well. But the laptops are just top class in my opinion. I was a mb user from 07-09 when I decided to upgrade to a newer macbook pro. I made that decision, looking at other laptops. I wasn't really interested in the mbp until I did a lot of research and came up that it was really worth it. I was not gonna go for any company with poor quality and customer service such as HP, Dell, Toshiba or Asus. I work as a computer technician, and I absolutely hate working with any of them. Its just a pain in the ass. My 3 choices was Lenovo, Sony and Apple. With very close specs, the Lenovo came in at 1100, the Sony at 1300 and the mbp at 1400. I chose the mbp because of a few simple reasons. Neither the sony or the lenovo came in a metal case, neither the sony or lenovo had the ease of getting customer service, and yet again apple won in quality.

DO not give me the bullshit that mac's run on the same hardware. Yeah its alike, very much. Uses the same processor and hard drive, memory is very close to being the same. Oh and the led backlit display. But thats where it ends. The motherboard is apple designed, it uses PRAM instead of bios, which is quite a bit more stable and powerful, although not as user friendly lol. The mobo provides minidvi, and firewire, which is not easily found in other laptops, the battery life is just insane compared to others, I mean common, put mac os x in battery conservation and it lasts 9 hours, what? Oh you say thats it? No, the touch pad on the mac, its like going from a 20 year old trackball mouse to a razer mamba. It is unbelievably good, and big. The magsafe adapter, is such a life savior. So why all the hate for mac's? I bought a mac, got a student discount so it came for 1200, which brought it below the sony. I'm a very happy camper. Yeah there are cheaper companies out there, but how many of them let you walk into their own store. Already thats down to sony and apple, and get service on the spot. I live with my laptop, being a computer science major in my 3rd year of college, I can't afford to send it in with a repair time of 2-5 weeks. I need service same day, on the spot. Apples service time ranges from 15 minutes to 24 hours. Thats from moment you walk into the apple store and hand them your laptop to the moment you walk out with it, all fixed and ready to go.

Stop saying APPLE SUCKS THEY GIVE YOU NO FREEDOM WHATSOEVER. Thats the other devices, not mac's. Mac os X is just a very pretty version of linux. Learn that. And stop giving people crap about it.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
@gamebrigada - Your statement about the Mac's firmware being better than that of an off the shelf Windows PC is totally false. There is very little difference between the EFI implentation used on the Mac and the one used on many Windows PC's. You act like the build quality of an Intel-based Macbook is equivalent to a military spec compliant Windows laptop when in reality a Macbook is not much more durable than a typical mid range Windows laptop. You may not have said it directly but you give that impression. You say that a Macbook gives you freedom? What do you do when the battery wears out? What if you want to upgrade the hard drive to a higher capacity one? What if you want to dual boot with 64-bit Windows Vista or 7? Apple doesn't allow this on my Early 2009 Mac Mini even though it has 4GB of RAM. This means I can only use about 3GB of the memory and the extra 1GB is wasted under 32-bit Windows. Windows 7 is the fastest and most secure commercial desktop OS available. If 95% of PC's ran Mac OS X then Mac's would be just as susceptible to malware and viruses as Windows PC's are now. It's still possible for an application to cause Mac OS X to freeze with the pinwheel of death on Snow Leopard. This has happened when I open the address book and while playing a commercial movie DVD from Netflix that my Mac Mini had trouble reading. This never, ever happens under Windows Vista or 7.

Apple does suck big time. They are nothing more than a marketing company that sells products with a comparable build quality to Bose products. Stop spewing false information.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]usernamept[/nom]And BTW, this idiots macbook cost me 900 Bucks new in Portugal.[/citation]

And an equivalent or better Windows Laptop is probably half that price. Your point is moot. Apple Tax...FTW!

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
On topic....I'd be scalping too if I was in China. Heck...who would not want to sell a $100 plastic cube for $500? Seriously?!?!

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
As much as I hate scalpers for selling tickets at concerts and sporting events (many use sophisticated computer software to bypass the captchas/limits that ordinary people do not have access to, cause a sell-out and they jack the prices), getting an iPhone 4 is not a "one night only" affair. If you can be patient and don't absolutely neeeeeed the latest gadget, you can buy it at market price. In cases like this, if you pay a scalper for an iPhone, or any gadget, you have More Money Than Brains (MMTB).

G

If other people want to buy an iPhone from a scalper for a thousand dollars instead of the actual cost then let them, it doesn't cost YOU a dime. If you want an iPhone and live in china just pre-order one online and wait for it be shipped to the store. Its not like we can walk into an apple store and buy an iPhone off the shelf in the US either.

@ eddieroolz: I agree. It is true that the majority of Chinese people in China are relatively less educated and strive to "get rich quick" with these kinds of schemes. In my opinion, for this not to happen you would have to change the hedonistic attitude of Chinese society as well as the Chinese educational system.

Status
Not open for further replies.