Bendy Bike Wraps Around Poles for Safe Keeping

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

royalcrown

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Too many people on the net armchair engineer when they haven't invented ANYTHING. Myself, I think that even if this thing sucked, the guy has still done more than most of the people picking it apart.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]People will just steal the seat and cut the tension line and steal everything. You'll amazed how many things people steal in NYC.[/citation]

Same in my small town. I've seen bikes secured to thick trees by a heavy duty cable fastened to the frame of the bike. Only problem - that frame was the only thing remaining of the bike...

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]dokiardo[/nom]Look at it. It isnt hard to tell how it works. The fram looks like one of those old jump ropes with the plastic dongels over the whole thing. Just pull the rope in the middle and tighten it, and bam all the plastic things will line up. But the problem is rigidity. If you look under his seat, he has a lever that he uses to tighten the line inside of the fram, or losen it. This allows it to bend around the pole when he releases the tension. I dont understand why I got knocked down for posting an obvious flaw in the bike.[/citation]I didn't knock you down but to me, coming to a conclusion on something like that is just a little premature. I am sure it isn't plastic. That would just be stupid.

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I like the idea I'm just worried about how long that joint/rubber thingy is going to last as an important part of a bike... you know keeping your face out of the asphalt... if it doesn't last too long you'd have to buy a new bike sooner than you'd need to buy, say a bike chain.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I like the idea... I'm not worried about the cable like some. I don't think I'd buy it just for locking purposes. If you ride a bike like that you're not going to be worried about carrying an extra 10lbs.

Non-the-less... an interested folding bike.

P.S. You can't lock your bike to poles or signs in MANY U.S. cities.

CPfreak

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
[citation][nom]blasterth[/nom]Is it legal to wrap a bike around a lamppost? In my country you can only leave bikes in the respective parking in city areas.[/citation]
and how would the police take your bike, if i may ask?

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
[citation][nom]Strider-Hiryu_79[/nom]At least the bike will survive perpendicular car accidents better than the actual cyclist will.1 gear model shown in the pics. Now if they can make an 18 or 21 speed shimano version.....yes![/citation]

Naw.. if that internal chain/wire breaks during a collision the bike will go flying in two different directions.
Concept could have been shown without a chain or functioning wheels, gear changing, comfy seats and light generators come later

eagles453809

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
yeah england is a powerhouse of ideas my ass. thats why it took you toothless fucks 3 months to come up with a half-ass way to POSSIBLY cap the oil leak right? come on dude 3 months and you brits are FINALLY doing what we AMERICANS have been saying for...3 MONTHS. so who has the ideas?

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
[citation][nom]gagyilaszlo[/nom]Has anyone noticed, that there are no brakes on that thing ?[/citation]

Coaster brake...maybe...just maybe :)

fjiekie

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]gagyilaszlo[/nom]Has anyone noticed, that there are no brakes on that thing ?[/citation]

could be a pedal-brake, pedal backwards and you stop...

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]eagles453809[/nom]yeah england is a powerhouse of ideas ... thats why it took you... 3 months to come up with a half-ass way to POSSIBLY cap the oil leak right? come on dude 3 months and you brits are FINALLY doing what we AMERICANS have been saying for...3 MONTHS. so who has the ideas?[/citation]
With that sort of response it's quite tempting to suggest somewhere on/in your person for this concept bike to be rammed up, if only to cease you talking through it.
I wonder if my comment is more flaming/trolling than his.

I see a few bikes chained to lamp posts every now and then, so maybe it would have a use. It wouldn't be a particular selling point for me personally though.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
A thief with no fear of consequences will sooner or later find a way to steal anything. Bring back DIRE consequences, and the problem goes away, if only one thief at a time.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Its a fixed gear (i.e. no free-wheel). You stop by just slowing down your pedaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.