bent laptop port pin

Ashley868

Estimable
Dec 23, 2015
I have an Asus x553m. Earlier today I accidentally moved the pin in my charger port. Now I can't plug the charger in at all. This is a new laptop so I don't want to buy a new one, and I'm hoping this is something that can be fixed at home. If I have to take it in, then I will but I'm hoping there is a chance I can fix it myself. I've never had this issue before and I've only ever had laptops. I'm not even sure how I managed to bend it. I'm using my phone right now but I need my laptop.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee151/ashhuffden/20151223_221810.jpg

imthebigchief

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014
It is probably broken on the inside. On all older laptops, that used to be soldered onto the motherboard and almost impossible to repair. Now, many laptops have that charger pin port as a modular plugin part. You will have to find a schematics or tear down instructions, and see if it is possible to replace it.

ffg7

Splendid
they are all modular & they are either soldered directly to the motherboard or via an attached cable plugged into the motherboard. just finished replacing one in a 2year old asus i5 laptop for a customer. my sony viao dual core laptop had the jack connected to a cable plugged into the motherboard. had to replace jack as part of the plastic had broken away causing the 2 contact pins to not touch the power adapter pin.

imthebigchief

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014

I think we just agreed, but maybe I didn't write it in an understandable way. Basically I was saying that if it was soldered, you are pretty much screwed, but maybe (hopefully) it is a plugin thing. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Edit: If it is soldered, there are companies that specialize in repairing those things. Search Google for "DC jack repair". I haven't looked in a while, as it hasn't come up with any of my clients, but it used to cost about $100, and some of the companies offered a pretty quick turnaround time.

ffg7

Splendid
the customer's was soldered in place so I desoldered it & soldered in the replacement jack. had no problems at all except having to take the lower part of the laptop apart to get at the underside of the motherboard to desolder the bad jack as it was a thru hole component not a surface mount. I do this type of work all the time & charge a lot less then $100. only component I can't replace are the bga's as I don't have a reflow machine & a xray type machine to check for bridging when replacing bga chips.