Best 2.1 Sount card

manojgj

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
I wish to get a new sound card for listening music mostly with my head phone(Frontech basic model but sounds good when i tried with SONY VAIO VGN-CS16G Notebook)..

i'm using intel945 based Core 2 Duo 2.6Ghz pc With 2 Gigs of ram

Currently i'm Using SRS Audio Sandbox which is better than Sigmatel onboard Sound card

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Most any soundcard has some method of virtualizing up to 7.1 for a 2.1 sound system, so it comes down to pure quality.

My Recommendations:

ASUS:
Xonar DX
Xonar D2/D2X
STX Essence ST/STX

Auzentech:
Forte
Prelude

HT Omega:
Striker
Claro

If I knew your price range, I could narrow down a bit...

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Yeah, that list basically is meant to cover the full range of prices; the best budget cards are the ASUS Xonar DX and HT Omega Striker, in my mind, and the best overall card would the the HT Omega Claro. Of course, Auzentech gets full EAX benifits, ASUS only supports EAX5, and HT Omega doesn't support any of the advanced EAX modes, which tends to drive people away from them...

Most any of these cards should do though.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
hmmm, ive been researching these 2

but whioch is significantly better in features and quality

asus xonar dx or ht Omega, both cards within teh same price range

also , does HT omega have the COMPLETE range DDL??? even virtual spekaer???

cos i need surrounds sound with 2.1

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Both should have the full dolby suite (Virtual Speaker, DDL, Pro Logic IIx, etc). The DX lacks DTS support though, but supports EAX5 emulation. The Striker includes DTS, but lacks any advanced EAX support. Its a push really;

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
well so long as theres one of them,

for me its a card with either DDL or DTS

not both

i think many would go for DX cos if it has full suite of DD, then u dont really need DTS, plus EAX emultation is also a big offer to the card.