Best and Worst Wireless Key Finders (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnbachman

Estimable
Jan 2, 2016
I am surprised there is mention of the Cube. That is the brand that I hear so much about. How does it stack up with the other key tracker devices. Was it in the test and just didn't rate?

mwamac

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016
This device was not that good. The tile and phone could be right next to each other and not work. It kept losing it's bluetooth connection. Went ahead and returned the tile, if no bluetooth connection, it is useless for finding anything.

McMhouse

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016
I'm looking for a key finder now, and this is the best, most current article I could find. It's a very well-written, in-depth, and comprehensive article. Great work! That said, I agree that the omission of a review of Lapa is a mistake. Would you please add them to your research?

(I also looked into Pixie, but I don't think there's a need to review them in this article.)

loaf__

Commendable
May 3, 2016
I had a TrackR. It is now in the bin. Didn't work and when I dared complain on the Facebook page they deleted my comment and blocked me. Avoid.

CRM123

Commendable
May 9, 2016
The Trackr is the worste device. It is barely audible. The bluetooth range is terrible. The bluetooth connection fails all the time and their own tech support recommends that you have to restart the Trackr app on your phone several times per day in order for it to work. Who would do this. Trackr is a useless implementation of a good concept. BUY TILE.

larry1976

Commendable
May 24, 2016
Hmmmm... If I buy one Tile at $25 and have to replace it for $12 that's $37 spent in just one year. Not to mention if it goes before 11 months I'm out a beacon until I get a new one. Sure they might let me recycle early but I'm still without a Tile until the replacement gets there.

If I buy any other beacon I'm still spending $25 average and If I replace the batteries once every 4-6 months I'm out $0.25 per battery (CR2032) and I'm never without my beacon.

Also not having the Geofence is an even bigger set back. I don't want to have to go looking for something once I've lost it. The whole point is to not lose it and having the alert is huge. Walk away and your phone alerts you're out of range... OH! let me go back and get my item now.

So the number one beacon costs more because you can't replace the battery and won't alert you before you leave an item behind. But it looks cool, beeps, improved their range from the first generation and you can beep your phone but only if you actually have it.

That doesn't seem right.

Bill62

Commendable
May 26, 2016
In my experience, the tile has been a dismal failure. I tried an experiment and spent a few months with Bluetooth disabled on my phone to see if my tile locations would be updated by other tile users. Absolutely not one update within a two month period. When I bought my tiles, I did so with the understanding that when the battery died I needed to buy a new tile. I had no problem with that notion until the tile people quit reporting my tile location after one year even though my tile had very little use and still had battery life. They showed up green on my phone app, proving they still had battery life, but we're useless because the folks at Tile decided I needed to buy new tiles even though I had functioning tiles.
This is my first post on this topic, but I have a complete documentation of my experience, including communication with Tile support.
Not impressive.

pixienightfae

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
I have tried two item finders - Tile and ProTag Duet.

With Tile, I was actually a Kickstarter contributor, and it was a pretty abysmal experience. They kept changing the date the tags would be sent out, butting right up to when we were supposed to receive them. Which seems okay, but then I couldn't use it with my phone because I had an Android (which not realizing that was my bad)... luckily, i have a husband with an iPhone. Eventually I stopped using it because they added too much bulk to my wallet. We went back to them and then it said we'd have to replace them - which it wouldn't let me do when we transferred two tiles to my own account (because when we started using them again there WAS an Android app). I hear they are developing a thin tracker now (perfect for wallets), so I might recommend it to my husband - who seems pretty happy with them.

With Duet, getting them was even WORSE. I was really looking forward to because able to have a credit thick tracker and the battery just didn't last NEARLY as long as it indicated it would. mostly because it would make the alarm go off on my phone if I didn't have the app open. Seriously. It was horrible. Then I broke the back of the other tracker when I went to replace the battery in it. So I called it on that one.

I might be trying the pebblebee or the Chipolo next because really - it can't be WORSE than either one of those. If Pixies had an Android app, I'd be down to try them also.

MrRickV

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016
I have tried and tried Tile, and the results were the same - Overated and not worth the annual fees that you must pay not once but two of three times a year. Two purchases, two models, and two returns. Wait for as better product.

roncro

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016
I don't see a definition of Geo Fence, but it sounds the same as Separation Alert which I understand Tile has. So I don't understand your report that Tile has no Geo Fence. Well, maybe that feature wasn't there a year ago when you posted this. Can you explain?

I don't understand Mrrickv's statement he must pay annual fees two or three times a year. Can he please explain.

HowzBuy

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
I am surprised that although you can't replace battery of Tile it is best seller on Amazon !! Battery is the only issue of Tile which is making me confused about !!

1ps930

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
RONCRO Dec 5, 2016, 5:30 PM

I don't understand Mrrickv's statement he must pay annual fees two or three times a year. Can he please
explain.

Tile has non replaceable battery so your basically on a contract for life by rebuying each year

1ps930

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Amazon best seller should only be a guide to point you in a direction. I see a lot of junk people buy on Amazon that are best sellers. why? because of price and the lack of information. Tile users will pay every year like a contract to keep it going. ie..$25 purchase $12.00 at the end of year to replace. 1st year cost 37.00 end of next year 12.00 again this is provided you are buying the CHEAP Tile and no price increases have occurred.
In 2 years you've spent $49.00 for an obviously poorly made disposable device. If it wasn't poorly made you wouldn't need a new one every year

KlasL

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017
Hi,

When will you review the updated chipopo original?

Your reviews seem to be the best, so I wait to purchase a key tracker until you have reviewed it. Replaceable batteries is crucial to me.

rhodo93

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
I love my Tile (original model), but the non-replaceable battery is completely unacceptable. Every year I have to replace the entire unit. They offer a 30% discount on ONE renewal Tile for a total price of ~$12 (plus $3 shipping), but if you use more than one, you're paying full price for the rest of them. And I can't even imaging the e-waste. The next time it "expires," I'm moving to another device with a replaceable battery.

checkcheck16

Commendable
Jan 29, 2017
For the duet: does the alert it send you when you leave it in the locked trunk scenario just beep once or do have to keep dismissing until you are back? Also, can I opt out of the mapped network option or is that forced.

Status
Not open for further replies.