Best Anti Virus for my new computer?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StreamingGames

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015
Im not looking to spend a billion dollars a month or year but I would like an extremely good, but not very noticeable antivirus. I believe I had a free one called asvast before and jesus that think would never stop popping up randomly and would never leave me alone. It almost made me want to buy an antivirus and mark advast as a virus just to get it to leave me alone lmfao. Thanks to everyone who suggests an antivirus for me!

EDIT: Has anyone heard of trend micro? A guy at a pc repair shop suggested it to mehttp://www.trendmicro.com/us/index.html

EDIT: Does Kaspersky or Avira slow down the system at all? I was reading some reviews where people said that it drastically slowed their computer down to the point where they had to uninstall them. As well as one review who said he called Kaspersky customer support and they kept pushing him to buy another of their products to speed his computer back up after it being slowed down by their product. Can anyone who has had one or both confirm or deny this? Thanks!

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I made a mistake above. I said Norton and BitDefender. However I meant Norton and Kaspersky. Having said that though BitDefender does stand up there in the top three anyway usually, and sometimes comes first.

Best thing to do is google for best Internet Security Suite and have done with it. Information about which has the best resources footprint can easily be found online.

I think Kaspersky just pips Norton at the post because it's cheaper, and has fractionally better results. However it's a very basic kit and lacks some of the Norton features.

I suppose it makes sense to listen to grumbles about Norton. I find them odd since I never had a peep out of it. It possibly has the most aggressive heuristic approach and that does get annoying occasionally. Eg I use forums and sometimes it doesn't like new pages that get developed by people posting. However you just click 'visit site' and off you go. After a few in a row you get angry but that is extremely rare. If you're regularly getting the latest freeware then as I mentioned it can block those.

Anyway this is a copy and paste of a review of Norton. With reference to claims about false positives it cover that admirably.
"AV-Test scored Norton Security at 16.5/18.0, dropping just 0.5 in each of the Protection, Performance and Usability categories. This is a very good score, third best in this group, implying a high level of security, without annoying false notifications.

Under Protection, it scored 100 percent at detecting widespread threats, and only dropped to an average of 98 percent on zero-day attacks, losing it that half point.

The Performance results reflected what we found, that the software only puts a light load on a PC, with a total of just 1s slow-down under test, against AV-Test’s group average of 4s."