Best antivirus for a slow HDD

Jazz-Kostas

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
Hello, so a laptop i'm using has an 8 year old hdd (Don't tell me to buy an ssd it's not really mine and I have informed the owner about it) and windows defender always turns on every time I restart my computer although I have disabled everything.

Windows defender uses much of my hdd usage and it slows down my computer (the antivirus becomes the virus in this case thank you microsoft...). So I googled how to disable it in windows 10 home and in a lifehacker article it says that I have to install another antivirus so it disables.

So because I don't use antivirus in my main pc I don't know much about which is better for each user and I would like to hear from some experts here which is better for my case? You know an antivirus that doesn't makes my pc a turtle and it actually helps to just protecting and not slowing down my system?

Thanks

Solution

AVG Anti-Virus, its free before you ask, runs wonders from my experience. Also, try running chkdsk in Windows Command to ensure your HDD isn't on the dying side. Run a disk defragment as well on the hard drive and that should solve the slow HDD once completed.

SkyNetRising

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
I'm afraid - SSD is the only sensible option here.

So - laptop is not yours, but you have to use it and tolerate its' slow hdd operation. Is that correct?
Why don't you get SSD yourself?
When you have to return the laptop, put hdd back in.

mtracy1991

Great
Nov 6, 2018

AVG Anti-Virus, its free before you ask, runs wonders from my experience. Also, try running chkdsk in Windows Command to ensure your HDD isn't on the dying side. Run a disk defragment as well on the hard drive and that should solve the slow HDD once completed.

Solution

Jazz-Kostas

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016

Hey i will install the antivirus you suggested when i get back to my laptop. Thanks for staying in touch.