best antivirus for small business

Status
Not open for further replies.

endy0307

Estimable
May 31, 2015
would like to know what other people use and to what success an antivirus for small business,
what's your choice and why, I like Norton 360 because I can find it cheap for about 5 dollars a year and it gives reports on everything, what do you use? thanks

warhead0

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Why pay for an antivirus?

Anything you do on a work computer should be clean and legit, there really should be no need for anti virus software. Your work PC should not be downloading from/visiting shady sites.

I personally don't use any and have been virus free for years now.

If you HAVE to have one, use malwarebytes. it's free and it's also pretty highly recommended by most people on the internet.

endy0307

Estimable
May 31, 2015

the problem is not everybody uses the computer the right way, I worked with a small office of engineers to my surprice they had utorrent on most machines and a bunch of other stuff, :p but TRUE!

warhead0

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011

Seems some one disagrees with me.

I assumed you only had the one machine. I'm going to stick with my advice to use malwarebytes. I don't care if you're running a business or not, it's still going to do the job you want it to. (I won't tell on you for using the free version.)

I will agree that having some form of protection is probably a good idea for your business, just winch anti virus to pick is a tough choice, (if you ask me they all kind of suck).

Rock solid advice, don't let the down vote fool you.

Cazauxx

Estimable
Jul 10, 2015

Kaspersky has parental controls
So you can restrict access to certain things with it.

geofelt

Distinguished
I do not run a small business, but I have some thoughts on the subject.

Most viruses enter through social engineering.
An employee clicks on a email link that supposedly comes from someone they think is legitimate.
There is no stopping that, we all make mistakes.
Windows security essentials is free, unobtrusive and is updated through windows updates.
It will catch many links to suspect web sites, but not all. It depends on a history of reported bad web sites.
It will look at the most common type of attacks, primarily those which have already been discovered.

More sophisticated programs will do more, trying to find viruses "in the wild" AKA those which have not been discovered yet. They are also more resource intensive. I think Kaspersky may be one of those.

But... in the end, you need to plan for recovery regardless.
Some sort of External backup is needed, not only for viruses or malware, but for fire, theft, hardware failure, or even simple employee mistakes.

If you have adequate recovery capability, perhaps expensive antivirus programs are not so much needed.

glamdringfh

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
EsEt is a great service. Might be a bit more expensive than you're used to, but they provide a high quality product and you can tailor the cost to your personal environment.

Depending on how much you're planning on expanding/ if you manage a server, you might also like to look into Sophos, which is another quite popular option for small & large office environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.