Best Antivirus on the Market

Joeteoh99

Estimable
Herald
Jul 20, 2014
I am looking for the best and cheapest (or free) antivirus softwares out there on the market. I would like the software to at least warn me when I am about to enter fraudulent sites and also able to scan and remove viruses on the PC.

Please provide recommendations. Or even better, what you have used and how is it?

Solution
Kaspersky and Bitdefender are the best but paid . Avast is good and adware . The best really freeware(no ads) is Microsoft Security Essentials - but worse than Bitdefender, which i have used for 2 years- MS SE . No viruses.

http://www.av-test.org/en/

rockie_

Estimable
Kaspersky and Bitdefender are the best but paid . Avast is good and adware . The best really freeware(no ads) is Microsoft Security Essentials - but worse than Bitdefender, which i have used for 2 years- MS SE . No viruses.

http://www.av-test.org/en/

Solution

saywhut

Estimable
Sep 11, 2014
I personally use Kaspersky. I love how it's really effective in telling you when you are about to go to a website that is sketchy. I have yet to have had a problem with them, and I am on my second year subscription with them.

I actually feel like its actually doing it's job in the background, and it isn't just silent 24 7.

I will be going to them again when my subscription expires.

Joeteoh99

Estimable
Herald
Jul 20, 2014
I have heard Kaspersky and Bitdefender is the best. And Norton (meant to be the best out of all) couldn't even spot any virus, where as I unstalled Malwarebytes and it spotted over 20 viruses and removed it. And in addition, it is only the free version.

Nevertheless, I will look into Kaspersky and Bitdefender.

allyg

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
I recommend kapersky or zone alarm pro but it is advisable to also use malwarebytes or a malware protection in addition to whatever antivirus you install.

jeff-j

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
I recommend Kaspersky for paid plus with their subscription you can installed it on the computers. For free I would go with AVG you just need to be careful installing the software and uncheck the toolbar.

M0B33R

Honorable
May 31, 2012
I've been using Norton 360 for the last 4 years and have experienced no problems. Symantec went back to basics and got rid of all the garbage they added in 2006 or 07. The BLOATWARE. It's all gone. For browser and safe net surfing you can download any number of free scanners like Norton Toolbar, McAfee, Malwarebytes has one now I believe. Just do a Google search or you can download TorBrowser here; https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

Joeteoh99

Estimable
Herald
Jul 20, 2014
I have used Norton for all my life since I ever owned a PC. But it seems now that Norton doesn't help a lot. A few months ago, I downloaded Norton Eraser and it managed to detect a malware and removed it (but not completely).

Then recently this week, a good friend of mine recommended Malwarebytes (free version) and it found almost more than 20 pups and viruses.

Joeteoh99

Estimable
Herald
Jul 20, 2014

That is the ESET one right? Never heard of them before though. What are your experience with it?

poeticallymaybe

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014
My laptop came with Vipre Security. Have had this for many years now and it's always worked fine. Have never tried to call the tech support but I do believe they provide a 24/7 number. However they also have and, in my experience, always respond to emails. (My laptop was secondhand so the only time I've ever needed to contact them was to renew subscription...)

The program updates every time I'm online but doesn't slow the computer down while doing so. It does warn, block, redirect if it encounters a problem and it also can do scans and removals of problems, even on USB devices.

You have to pay for Vipre but they sometimes have sales, too. And often it's possible to renew subscription for multiple years at discount. So average price per year can end up being $25 or less.

My laptop is covered till 2016. Kind of sad, really. The laptop itself may not last that long. So will get to learn if the program can be transferred, probably soon.

NOTE: Do also use CCleaner by Piriform and a very old version of WinASO to clear cache files. Both were free, work okay and seem to help reduce scan times for Vipre.

Paul NZ

Admirable

Yup Eset. I havent used any of these programs inc this one. Just read that Eset doesnt crash as much as the others lol