• mcafee

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • nod32

Votes: 32 16.5%
  • trend micro

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • webroot

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • other....tell us about it and why!!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 15 7.7%

• Total voters

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Woohoo!!! Avast takes the lead.

But on a serious note, it would have been nice to vote for Paid vs Free or something like that.

megatubai

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
My vote went to other for Vipre Antivirus / spyware by sunbelt software.

I demo'd this for work because they were offering a really good price compared to our symantec endpoint security. I put it on 3 machines, and it found something on each machine that had not been picked up by symantec including trojans, and a keylogger!

They also gave me a free license for trying it ( which i used on my moms computer to help rid her of one of those "fake anti spyware" viruses that now plagues the internet.

They offered me $10 per license + 1 free year to essentially reimburse us for our current symantec, but my supervisor didn't want to do it.. oh, and they also were offering a free at home license for every user ! seriously... was an excellent deal.

Symantec Endpoint security is like... $35-40 per license per year for renewals. So, by the end of the year I'm switching our office over to this by year end.

techie555

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

Well, AVG lets some other powerful viruses get past on its system.
I have a very bad experience when it comes to AVG. My computer was infected by an Adware. :(
Starting fro that day on, I never used AVG again.

GrievousAngel

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
actually i had the same problem with AVG (twice) > one RootKit and one nasty virus. AVG later got the virus BUT never found the RootKit. a free Rootkit killer fixed the RootKit thing.

i thought maybe i was expecting too much from anti-virus appz If you go to risky sites.

i guess its time to move on to another anti-virus!

which anti-virus is king?

thanks,
bbilly

dantrona

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Kaspersky is definately an expensive program, but you pay for quality. All of my family (Except me) uses Kaspersky, where I am using a free McAfee Professional that came withour comcast connection. After a year of having that my computer started slowing down and I happened to get hacked (That sucked.) before getting it all squared away, I scanned my computer with McAfee, it found nothing. I used Kaspersky's free scan, it found 4 things, 2 spyware, 1 trojan and a virus. Removed them all right quick, got all my stuff back, and life was good. Once I build my new computer in the next month I am putting Kaspersky on it immediately.

nashlofer

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I first used Norton antivirus but literally it sucks.... It is too conservative on its firewall settings plus the internet security is a bummer.
I switched to AVG... then to AVAST... I guess AVG (Free) and Avast (Free) are great Antivirus today.

GrievousAngel

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
is there a bigger comparison on the net comparing anti-virus appz?

AVG Firewall is good but it not sharp with Rootkits.

who does the best job with downloading unknown files?

thanks,

billy

nashlofer

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009

You got a nice list here. Thanks for the information!

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I have used mcafee, norton, avast(free),AVG(free),and Avira(free). All i can say is avira smashes everything, all of its competition between the anti-virus i've used personally. truth be told it has no competition. Avira anti-vir the free version has has practically all features that paid-antiviruses do that i need. I am thinking of purchasing the premium of it actually. It has a very high detection rate, daily updates(sometimes 2--3 times a day), has excellent heuristics and a good scanner. It catches everything. Mcaffee, just plain sucked, norton goes with right with it, its crap, avast was okay but it doesn't have a very good detection rate cause some viruses got through and has a horrible GUI, i once thought that it was my music player when i saw it, AVG is pretty good, i would put in second because it doesn't have a very good detection and kind of got bloated. Avira takes up no resources and yet easily defeats everything else. Avira is a brick wall and nothing gets through it PERIOD. Remember this is my opinion, you may not agree but i suggest give it a try :)

nashlofer

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I haven't try Avira, perhaps I'll consider it in the future. Thanks for the tip.

A little out of the topic I have downloaded Malwarebytes software (Free). Tried it, and clean-up my P.C. very nicely from malwares and spywares. My Firefox just crashed couple of days ago and I have to "clean" install it.
It works fine now, but I used Malwarebytes to clean my system before re-installing Firefox.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Kaspersky works for my servers. Otherwise, I use Mc@fee or 360.

360 seems to work much better for me, although it is a pain to uninstall. Kaspersky is more of an enterprise-level, server thing than a home use program.

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Are you kidding me? 5 votes for Norton? It's the crappiest besides mcafee and Trend Micro. I say Avira or nod32. Kasperskey slows the f out of my internet and, although it whitelisted iTunes, it blocks half of the songs I purchase. It has great protection, but too much of a performance impact. Besides, Avira is free, Kasperskey cost me $62.