Best antivirus poll

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vote for your best antivirus!!!!!!!!!

• avg

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • avast

Votes: 26 13.4%
  • avira

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • kaspersky

Votes: 35 18.0%
  • norton

Votes: 23 11.9%
  • mcafee

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • nod32

Votes: 32 16.5%
  • trend micro

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • webroot

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • other....tell us about it and why!!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 15 7.7%

• Total voters

batou1

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
so area 51 you seem to have some experience with these. My license on KIS 2010 will run out in a few days (Just in time for when my new rig arrives!!) So on the new one would you suggest
1.) Kaspersky IS 2010- which Ive had great results in the detection and protection department but possible conflicts with internet access as you can see above, and it also has slowed down this machine (but then again my new one is much faster i5 750 6 gig 1333 and win 7 so I dont know if that will negate the performance impact and solve my acces problems)
2.) Vipre antivirus/antispyware plus a good firewall
3.) Avria (paid) with a good firewall.
these three seem like the best options out there

*And thanks but no thanks to AVG as that has let a ton of stuff through on my buddies computer that I have to constantly get rid of with superantispyware and malwarebytes.

varulv

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

Why shocked? Nod32 is a great antivir program, also resource 'friendly'.

Anyway, nod32 for me.

4Ryan6

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
At the beginning of last year Nortons Internet Security 2009 got such great reviews I decided to give it a shot and was pleased with it enough to install it on 6 machines, it was a better product than Nortons earlier AV protection that added everything in it but the kitchen sink and slowed your machine to a crawl.

Then Symantec released NIS 2010 and 2009 began automatically updating to 2010, which got infected with a virus on 3 different HDDs, 2 running WinXP Pro 32bit, 1 running Vista Home Premium 64bit, Nortons was clueless it was infected, but Windows Media Player began relentlessly restarting basically rendering you computer useless.

After many failed attempts to stop the problem I decided to try an online scanner, even though Nortons continued to report no infection no matter how deep the scanner was set to run, I took a shot in the dark and chose ESET [NOD32], installed and ran its online scanner, it found all the virus infections and removed them.

So now I'm running the 30 day trial version of ESET Internet Security and so far its getting a thumbs up, hopefully that will last.

Nortons is still clueless of the virus, thats a real let down from Symantec, they should have been all over this thing by now.

Well that's my 2 cents on this subject. Ryan

therianthrope

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Is there any particular reason why there's no AV software stickies, perhaps outlining the leading free and paid programs?

I have to imagine this forum is 90% the same stuff over and over...

4Ryan6

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002

Well it could be hardly anyone actually reads the stickies and they end up as a reference link for a thread like this, so they still have a use.

Probably because no one has taken the time to put one together and unfortunately no matter how good your AV protection is if an AV disabling Trojan, or Worm infection gets in your machine because the AV protection doesn't have the virus definition yet, your machine is in trouble anyway.

There is no perfect AV solution besides completely disconnecting from the internet anyway.

A good sticky is a lot of work and dedication on the authors part to keep it constantly updated, or it becomes useless.

Are you volunteering to put together an AV sticky?

c0ll3ct0r3

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
-nod32 killed my new 16gb mp4 player.because it had a autorun virus... never worked again.(could of been fixed with panda usb)
-after grisoft released avg free 8. i couldnt get rid of it. i had to format my hard drive and start again.
-avast = resorce hungry. had to disable half of the scanners to get my computer running normal speed...
also the same with mcafee and norton

-just switched to avira... no troubles what so ever. just the annoying notifyer thing. but it doesnt pop up often. and my computer goes very fast.

UNICOMPLEX

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Norton managed to get 11 votes are you having a laugh, Norton is a virus !.
It lags your system and attracts other viruses.

dpowell

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
ESET Nod32 has consistently been the best. Results from ICSA Labs, VB100, AV Comparative Labs, and other Independent 3rd party Antivirus testing companies vary a bit from year to year, but Nod32 is definitely a front runner. I use it everyday in my Computer Repair shop and my customers that have switched to Nod32 have a SIGNIFICANTLY lower reinfection rate than those who use other major brands. Laboratory tests are one thing, but what I see in real life with first hand experience is what I bank on. Also, a perfect compliment to Nod32 for active antispyware protection is SUPERAntiSpyware Pro. Both offer free trials to get your started, which can easily be converted to the full paid version without reinstalling, they just need the codes to be entered.

30 day Free Trial: http://spywarepreventionguy.com/nod32
15 Day Free Trial: http://spywarepreventionguy.com/superantispyware

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Well, I'm a NOD32 convert now. I run Smart Security, and it works wonders. I can see why it's at the top now.

justy36

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

In the past 4-5 years I used norton which was good but spendy. I switched to bitdefender. Seems to be good plus it also has game mode which norton does not. And a yearly prescription is about half the price of norton.