Best browser for security and privacy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Hi folks,

What would you suggest as being the most secure browser for security (against hacking etc) and privacy (blocking trackers/advertising etc)?

Many thanks, D

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks Avast-Team!

How likely is it that my personal files (docs, pdfs, images etc) would become infected from the virus/trojan? And what can I do about this issue?

rgd1101

Don't

How likely? if you have active anti virus/malware software running, not likely.
And what can you do, stop downloading/installing from unknown source.

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks rgd1101

Yes, I will be more careful with the download source in the future (usually, I'm very careful).

What would you recommend to make sure my personal files are completely clean (virus free) before I move them back onto my system again?

rgd1101

Don't

Do full scan

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thank you rgd1101

What would you recommend as the best 1) free and 2) paid anti-virus options available (so I can run the best scan)?

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thank you SR-71 Blackbird!

Can I ask you, what do you think about the description of what happened with my computer (i.e. possible virus/trojan or false-positive)? And what would you personally do to ensure your computer (and personal files) is 100% safe in this situation?

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks SR-71 Blackbird.

I've run a few scans now (with Avast, Malwarebytes and CCleaner) and nothing is being picked up now.

Is there anything else you would suggest? I want to be 100% sure that there is nothing lurking in the background on my system... so might it be best to do a clean install of Windows 10 (otherwise, I could do a Factory Reset of Windows)?

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Yes I've learnt my lesson to be extra careful where I download from now (usually I'm on top of this) :)

Thanks again for your kind support!

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks SR-71 Blackbird

I was just wondering... what would you recommend as the best (free) software for erasing/wiping (with 1s and 0s etc) an SSD drive? Also, what software would you recommend for reformatting and reparitioning an SSD drive?

Thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.