Best Buy Buy Back Program Gets Official

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

csmooth

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
I agree with you Ihearfort.

It is not a scam. Personally I would not buy it because I can sell my own shit on ebay or craigslist. Sad thing is you see people so frustrated when they come to the precint and they know jack squat. I feel bad really and I am honest everytime with them. They always tell me. Should I just purchase a new laptop? I am like Heck NO sir it still works. Some people here say its a scam or a ripoff. But thats cuzpeople like us that know how to treat our stuff or sell them. 90% of the people that go in there dont know jack. Less going to ebay and sell em. Those are the people that buy up to 1200 dllrs with ipad and accesories and dont want a laptop but an ipad. Its your money do what you want. I think thats why we are number one. I am not going to waste my time being picky or be a dick to a customer when they bring their item back. I get paid to fix computers and be honest with them. I will not divulge info on how we fix things but I wont lie to you if you dont need a new pc or charge you 100 bucks for a data back up when you only have 2gigs of data. If you are being a dick to a customer or lie to them or become so picky for a tiny scratch thats just plain Wrong!! This people are clueless man and don't want to learn either they just want to know why they cant get on facebook. Offer it to them. that may help them. Remember not all people are tech savy like the poeople on Toms.

radio1981

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I find it so incredibly amusing to listen to Geek Squad employees talk. I work in a computer shop, and hear such horrible things from customers coming to us after having a Geek Squad "Tech" look at their computers.

They call their cell phones, "sidearms". They have "badges". They are absolutely brainwashed into thinking Best Buy is the best place on earth, and look down upon other people. They think they are secret agents or something. It is pitiful.

Geek Squad employees are wanna-be computer techs. They don't know how to do practically anything in house. They ship computers out to other places to do work on them.

Seriously folks. Read a GS employees service note left on a clients desktop if you don't believe me. They live in a fantasy world.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
@alidan:

f you are getting a [TV] right now, it[']s (actually: that's) stupid[.] [T]o[o] many emerging technolog[ies], like 3[D][,] that still doesn[']t (actually: don't) have one set standard, and the promise of glasses[-]less 3[D] "soon"[.]

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]LetUsAdvance[/nom]"Wtf's a bieber?" "I don't know. Kinda looks like a girl."HAHAHAHA[/citation]

lol...notice the old man next to Ozzy is actually Bieber....lol.

justbrae1

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]radio1981[/nom]I find it so incredibly amusing to listen to Geek Squad employees talk. I work in a computer shop, and hear such horrible things from customers coming to us after having a Geek Squad "Tech" look at their computers.They call their cell phones, "sidearms". They have "badges". They are absolutely brainwashed into thinking Best Buy is the best place on earth, and look down upon other people. They think they are secret agents or something. It is pitiful.Geek Squad employees are wanna-be computer techs. They don't know how to do practically anything in house. They ship computers out to other places to do work on them.Seriously folks. Read a GS employees service note left on a clients desktop if you don't believe me. They live in a fantasy world.[/citation]
You obviously have no idea how Geek Squad works.

radio1981

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]The fact that Bieber is in the ad stopped me from watching it, right there.[/citation]

Prove me wrong then.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Okay, as someone who works at Best Buy, the first disclaimer we got when being trained for this BuyBack program is its not for everyone, or better yet, for every product. Yes, it is downright pointless to buy buyback on a television thats $600 and ya wait 4 years to bring it back. Or better yet, your somebody that doesn't change their technology that often, its pointless also.

However, perfect example, a customer came in wanting the Asus Gaming Laptop we have for $1200. He goes through laptops literally every six months. Now why he does that is a whole separate psychological development I wasn't really going to get into and insult the guy, but paying $70 to come in and get $600 (aka net $530) back for him to upgrade to the next thing we have was worth it for him.

Oh by the way, once you pay that $70 now, the next time you come in and do initiate a Buyback, your enrollment into your device is free anyway.

Another example, you can't wait for the release of the next supposed release of the ipad 2, but you know your going to get it when it releases. So why not pay $70 to get for example around $250 back if you were getting the 16 GB ipad? And again, buy back becomes free on the product you use that returned gift card on.

Also, this isn't for people who are comfortable selling things on ebay and craigslist. Instant gratification comes into play as well.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Azimuth01[/nom]what a scam. You have to buy into the program when you make your purchase? I wonder what the buy in is. 600 dollars for a TV and you get 10% back after 2 years??? thats what? 50 bucks? I'm sure it will cost at least 20 to buy into the program, so thats 30 bucks off the sticker price of a new TV if you promise best buy that your next TV will be from them. In the meantime, Wall-mart has the same TV for 40 bucks cheaper.This is why I don't go to Best buy anymore. They prey on people being uninformed.[/citation]

Again, just to clarify, we're also trained not to offer BuyBack on something like a $600 TV. Because your correct, its pointless, stupid even. Its not for every product.

"They prey on people being uninformed": If your referring to our services like PC setup and Restore CD, one time virus removal insurance for one year, Geek Squad Black Tie Protection, etc., if anything it helps the uninformed. Some people just don't have time to spend 4 hours on making restore disks, cleaning up excess free trial software on computers, running registry optimization programs, doing all the windows updates, uninstalling the 2 months antivirus to then install other antivirus. We are trained to let them know that you could do all this on your own (with the exception of the registry optimization), and most of the time when I tell them how, most people take the preset computer because its a time saver.

I can't attest for the integrity of every store, but our store severely frowns upon "scare tactics" to get customers to buy stuff. I do wish our store operated the same as other stores in the nation. Best Buy would have a much better overall reputation if it did. It always boils down to the store management in terms of quality of service.

G

everyone is saying that they will not give you the highest buyback amount for any device. that is not the scam at all...the scam is right there in front of you. you are paying best buy to buy back your electronics at less than used value. i'm sure they will be happy to buy your stuff at 50% before six months after you paid them $50 or even more. not only are you selling them your used stuff at a far lesser price than you can get at craigslist, but you are paying them a fee to do it. you are stupid if you opt for this program.

lets say you buy a computer for 500. after 18 months its worth 100 bucks. i have never seen an 18 month old computer go for 100. not to mention you paid them 70 to enter this program. that means they are effectively giving you only $30!! for your almost new computer!!! wake up idiots, the scam is right in front of you, since you paid 70 to be able to sell it to them for 100. craigs list value minimum: 250, best buy net payback amount: 30, bestbuy fuck you over net amount: 220!

Status
Not open for further replies.