Best Buy Buy Back Program Gets Official

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
when i get a tv or a pc monitor, its good for atleast 2 years, than something new comes out that is unimpressive, at least for the cost. in 4 years, the monitors are getting a bit dim, but still very useable. though not sure i would sell it anyway. now at 5-6 years i would.

now lets look at this from a more practical standpoint.

if you are getting a tv right now, its stupid, to many emerging technology, like 3d that still doesnt have one set standard, and the promise of glassesless 3d "soon"

personally, i have a 18 year old harp crt that i used until it crapped out, and it was great, early lcds weren't better than it, even if they were hd. and plasmas cost way to much and were to big for my setup.

my first pc monitor i used for 6 years, than i got a new one and used it for 5, now im on a 2-4 year cycle.

now lets take a decent monitor. 300$ after at around the 1 year mark and you lose almost all of the positive reasons for this.

a 2000$ tv, if you are stupid enough to buy it now, they will make how much on the resell if you sell it back in 6 months to a year? may as well creigs list that thing.

this is takeing advantage of people who are stupid, nothing else.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]pclee[/nom]I'm sure they'll find something wrong with the product even if you bring it in unused after 6 months.[/citation]

Especially if they have the Geek Squad look at it.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Sounds to me like someone should go in and buy a product and into the Buy Back program open it once take everything out make sure it all works and there are no defects and once that's done package it back up and in 6 months take it back and see what Best buy has to say about it like "Oh this monitor has dust on it i can take it back but you'll get 20% of the original value" this program is complete BS and anyone who buys into this does deserve to get ripped off i mean seriously buy a new TV for 2000 and in 6 months you can sell it for over 1500 why pay 100 bucks for the privilege to take it back get get 1000 back? to me it should be a free program if anything they are going to make money on reselling your item plus making money for letting you them make more money love that vicious circle

andy001z

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Unless you a tech nut that swaps his or her tech every six months you would be mad to take this up. The take up price alone wipes out most of the buy back offer as it is. Say you spend 699 on a desktop 10% = 69. Buy in program = 69 oh look I have saved my self no money and been ripped off!! Nice sales deal BB.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
At first glance that seemed kind of amazing until i saw the years and the drop down in value... totally not worth it, there will be idiots who buy into this, n best buy reaps the profits.

Azimuth01

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
what a scam. You have to buy into the program when you make your purchase? I wonder what the buy in is. 600 dollars for a TV and you get 10% back after 2 years??? thats what? 50 bucks? I'm sure it will cost at least 20 to buy into the program, so thats 30 bucks off the sticker price of a new TV if you promise best buy that your next TV will be from them. In the meantime, Wall-mart has the same TV for 40 bucks cheaper.

This is why I don't go to Best buy anymore. They prey on people being uninformed.

musiccitytom

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
OK, this sounds like great another BB "customer service" program, like the "restocking fee" fiasco. The Shack & Dell already have free recycling programs.for tech products.
Look up the prices they offer ($11 on an LG Vue- I sold mine on ebay for $40).
If you bought something & can't return it & now you want a newer model, you'll probably do better selling it online. And you don't have to pay extra for the privilege of taking a 50% haircut on the value of a 6 - 12-month old PC, TV, etc.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]TKolb13[/nom]I work For BB GS and the stipulations on the Buyback are a JOKE! anyone who buys into this DESERVES to get Ripped off... We are trained to look for the SMALLEST issues and then "nickel and dime" the customer so the "buyback" would decrease even if the item was less then 6 months.[/citation]

Having worked there was well, I'd agree, but it's not always BB at fault too. The customers can be just as ridiculous...I'm sure you'll have trashy smelly bob come in yelling like a fool on how his 10 year old compaq desktop is well worth it's price in gold.

G

I work for Geek Squad, and I will tell you we AREN'T trained to nickel and dime the customer. If the unit is in reasonable shape like 80% of units that I see, its cool. If, on the other hand, you spent most of your time with your laptop spilling beer on it and dropping it on the floor, you aren't getting anything back.

I personally don't think it's a great deal, and yes, you can sell it on ebay for more. 90% of the customers I see, however, couldn't figure out ebay or craigslist to save their lives. The most ignorant thing I see in most comments about Best Buy is that the customers can do whatever themselves. Yes, of course they can. I tell the customers I see daily that for PC Setups (data backups too) they don't need a GS agent. But sometimes it's worth the money spent to save on time and frustration if you aren't great at things like that. And that's where Buy Back comes into play. You don't have to try to sell the thing, you just have to bring it in.
Just don't bring it in crusted with filth and a cracked LCD.

Oh, and as for the free recycling thing, we do that too.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I don't know anyone with the slightest amount of tech knowledge that shops at Best Buy anymore anyway...

Yeah... Craigslist your old stuff, you'll get more.

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I have had a Samsung LCD monitor for six years and it still works perfectly, no screen burning or dead pixels. It's much more worthwhile to buy a product you researched and know will last you than to rely on dumb programs like this.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
so this is the next big scam hum?
pay $70 to be able to return your item for 50% or less it's marked up 30%-300% retail price which was already marked up 300% by the distributor who bought it from the manufacturer before selling it to best buy...... i guess this will be great if you get a lemon product?

TKolb13

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
[citation][nom]IHartford[/nom]I work for Geek Squad, and I will tell you we AREN'T trained to nickel and dime the customer. If the unit is in reasonable shape like 80% of units that I see, its cool. If, on the other hand, you spent most of your time with your laptop spilling beer on it and dropping it on the floor, you aren't getting anything back. I personally don't think it's a great deal, and yes, you can sell it on ebay for more. 90% of the customers I see, however, couldn't figure out ebay or craigslist to save their lives. The most ignorant thing I see in most comments about Best Buy is that the customers can do whatever themselves. Yes, of course they can. I tell the customers I see daily that for PC Setups (data backups too) they don't need a GS agent. But sometimes it's worth the money spent to save on time and frustration if you aren't great at things like that. And that's where Buy Back comes into play. You don't have to try to sell the thing, you just have to bring it in. Just don't bring it in crusted with filth and a cracked LCD.Oh, and as for the free recycling thing, we do that too.[/citation]

Apparently yu didn't see the part in the "training" that stated, if the computer comes in with ANY malware or virus it is subject to GS Services BEFORE it can be taken in for trade, Even tho the 1st thing dealtree does to the PC when it receives it is FORMAT THE DRIVE!
it comes down to this. I use to feel bad taking money from people to install ram and formatting their os cause its so easy. I learned its not my money and they are paying for MY knowledge and it made it easier. BUT NOW i just feel dirty when i leave work. Services are one thing but this is....

Status
Not open for further replies.