Best Buy Employee Fired for Stopping Laptop Thief

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
[citation][nom]jitpublisher[/nom]It is a sad state of affairs when a scumbag criminal has more rights and can come out of a situation like this better than the real hero. This is the state that our nation has fallen to, and one of the fundamental problems of what is wrong with our country today. The only way this could have came out better is if the employee had a handgun, and shot the guy point blank right between his eyes as he was trying to get up an out the door.[/citation]
...and off to prison he would have been for killing a guy over a couple laptops. Seems like a fair trade, right?

Some of us need a little perspective here. The theft was wrong. It is the responsibility of law enforcement to deal with that, not a store clerk.

I am sure (sarcasm here) that all Tom's forum members are true bastions in their communities and would only exercise the proper levels of punishment to criminals. So far, the death penalty seems to be the leading, preferred method. Might be a bit much, don't you think.

Some folks here REALLY need to evaluate your positions. If you carried on in the real world, like you profess to here in the anonymity of the ether, you would be behind bars. Seriously.

uuicked

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]Best Buy has the right to determine its own rules for these things. While the punishment seems harsh, there are legal and liability issues here that justify the company's response. Folks may not like it, but that is the way it is. Sorry for the former employee, but he knew the rules.[/citation]

Then we pay taxes on retail thefts. I wish the world had more Roger Klines

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
really? let me see...i go to work and someone is getting raped....it's standard policy not to interfere....so i turn the other way...wtf is our judicial system turnin into?

uuicked

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]...and off to prison he would have been for killing a guy over a couple laptops. Seems like a fair trade, right?Some of us need a little perspective here. The theft was wrong. It is the responsibility of law enforcement to deal with that, not a store clerk.I am sure (sarcasm here) that all Tom's forum members are true bastions in their communities and would only exercise the proper levels of punishment to criminals. So far, the death penalty seems to be the leading, preferred method. Might be a bit much, don't you think.Some folks here REALLY need to evaluate your positions. If you carried on in the real world, like you profess to here in the anonymity of the ether, you would be behind bars. Seriously.[/citation]

ColGuy you need to lean away from being such a strict constructionist and become a little more liberal when reading the posts on a forum. These articles are viewed and commented on from people of all ages with all backgrounds. Peronsonally it seems hard to believe someone actually wants to shoot someone but rather that the incident incites rage over the fact that criminals are getting away with more than people who actually try and care.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

I applaud the good men doing something. I do not pretend to know how you think but if you believe for a second that the regulations in place are working to stop crime then how comes the crime rates increase annually? The community agrees with me too, if not then Charles Bronson wouldn't have been asked to act in Death Wishes 2, 3, 4 and 5! =)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]really? let me see...i go to work and someone is getting raped....it's standard policy not to interfere....so i turn the other way...wtf is our judicial system turnin into?[/citation]
Rape is different than stealing a laptop, a bottle of pop, or a candy bar. The response is different. You miss the point of proportionality.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
[citation][nom]uuicked[/nom]ColGuy you need to lean away from being such a strict constructionist and become a little more liberal when reading the posts on a forum. These articles are viewed and commented on from people of all ages with all backgrounds. Peronsonally it seems hard to believe someone actually wants to shoot someone but rather that the incident incites rage over the fact that criminals are getting away with more than people who actually try and care. "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)I applaud the good men doing something. I do not pretend to know how you think but if you believe for a second that the regulations in place are working to stop crime then how comes the crime rates increase annually? The community agrees with me too, if not then Charles Bronson wouldn't have been asked to act in Death Wishes 2, 3, 4 and 5! =)[/citation]
I agree that thinking something and doing something (dude, those are some terrible movie examples, but I get your point...I think) are different things. Posting something should be held to the same standard, don't you think?

A person with a healthy mind understands the difference. Someone with issues may not.

BTW, nice quote. I have spent more than a quarter of a century defending the US, and think my global experiences and common sense (grew up on a farm) allow me to have a little perspective on what matters and how to appropriately respond.

...I don't post anything I wouldn't say to someone;s face. That is my standard and how I live. I am sure some, as listed in this thread, can't say the same.

'Nuf said. My point has been made. COLGeek, out.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]This is what lawyers and liberals get you. Companies that fire employees for stopping thieves for fear of lawsuits and nutbag leftwing juries.[/citation]

its not stoping him thats bad, you have a legal right to detain a person if you KNOW FOR A FACT they did something illegal.

its the fact that allot of people want street justice.

should the guy go to jail, yes.
should he be beaten? possibly
would a mob mentality kick in and beat him FAR beyond what should be reasonable? here is why the store has this policy.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]uuicked[/nom]ColGuy you need to lean away from being such a strict constructionist and become a little more liberal when reading the posts on a forum. These articles are viewed and commented on from people of all ages with all backgrounds. Peronsonally it seems hard to believe someone actually wants to shoot someone but rather that the incident incites rage over the fact that criminals are getting away with more than people who actually try and care. "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)I applaud the good men doing something. I do not pretend to know how you think but if you believe for a second that the regulations in place are working to stop crime then how comes the crime rates increase annually? The community agrees with me too, if not then Charles Bronson wouldn't have been asked to act in Death Wishes 2, 3, 4 and 5! =)[/citation]

when i move, im moveing to a state with a castle laws.
these laws let a home owner do what ever they want to a criminal on their property. you see a burgler, you get to kill him even if he is unarmed, and running away. if he so much as steals a piece of bread or even trespasses you can legally kill him.

im not saying its a great law, or that it is reasonable. but let me tell you, if someone sole even 10$ from me, i would be more than willing to kill, and i dont want a law telling me i cant do anything but take it unless there is a threat presented to my life, as in they already have a gun to my head.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I've known 3 people that have worked at best buy & all quit within a few months saying it was just not a good place to work.This guy stayed with them 3 years, risked his life to help them out & gets fired!!! What a place to work or should I say not to work. I hope this guy gets a great job somewhere -He deserves it.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]Rape is different than stealing a laptop, a bottle of pop, or a candy bar. The response is different. You miss the point of proportionality.[/citation]
it's about interfering no matter the situation....just like how you can't defent yourself in your house.....if you do and kill the guy then you are at fault

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
It's not like he stabbed the guy or hit him with something, he tackled him...

A temporary suspension or written warning or whatever should've been the maximum.

They obviously cannot be seen encouraging vigilantes amongst their employees, but they also should have the decency to review the case and lower the penalties...

Now my question is this, if the employees cannot intervene in the case of a crime in progress in their stores, would they let someone get molested right next to them?

And all of you saying they did the right thing by imposing this policy, think of it this way, what if some old pedophile were molesting your daughter in the other aisle while you're discussing with a clerk, and another clerk would see it happen but because of policy, wouldn't try to stop it from happening. I'm sorry to say but after slaughtering the perv, I'd probably beat up the clerk with the pedo's leftovers. Then I'd beat myself for leaving my daughter "unguarded" for 5 minutes, or less... but doesn't take much inattention for this kind of shit to happen...

Sad days for the few moral people left, when criminals end up with more "rights" than the honest.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
It is NOT your stuff, it is NOT your business, so DONT risk your life for that shit. That guy could have been packing a weapon for all he knew, if they want to steal, let them. Its always fun to get attention because you were a hero, but you're risking your life for that 10 minutes of fame.

G

He SHOULD be fired, no store employee has the right to lay hands on anyone. You all don't understand, this is to protect those of us who don't steal but may some day accidentally be accused and wrongfully tackled and injured.

I was in a drug store and witnessed this happen once. Some guy had a product in his jacket pocket, he owned it, he brought it from home to make sure he was purchasing the correct item. When he put the item back into his pocket, some huge football player built type store employee storms out of the corner and tackles the guy down the floor. The second I saw that, I said to myself "omg, that guys neck and back must be damaged." Seriously, this poor guy was tackled down and practically put in a neck hold.

Sure enough the product in his pocket was a used empty bottle. The store was rightfully sued.

You can never convince me otherwise, no matter how SURE YOU ARE that someone is stealing, YOU NEVER lay hands on someone.

THANK YOU BEST BUY FOR DOING THE RIGHT THING.

phatbuddha79

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
[citation][nom]jednx01[/nom]That is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. If he stopped the guy, he should get a promotion, not get fired.[/citation]
exactly! what if that thief had a weapon and he got hurt?

G

"it was store policy to not interfere with a crime in progress" what the FUCK?!?!!?!?!?! stupid law with stupid people.

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
I emailed Best Buy corporate and told them I would not be making purchases at their chain whenever possible for a period of one year in reaction to this brain-dead policy.

This stuff is just retarded. It may or may not help their bottom line, but it hurts society at large, and they need to act more responsibly.

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Well that sums it up. If you see someone stealing something, leave them alone because they are now the store's problem and not yours.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]phatbuddha79[/nom]exactly! what if that thief had a weapon and he got hurt?[/citation]
ok..."what if"....wait, it doesn't matter

Status
Not open for further replies.