Best Buy Employee Fired for Stopping Laptop Thief

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]This is what lawyers and liberals get you. Companies that fire employees for stopping thieves for fear of lawsuits and nutbag leftwing juries.[/citation]

Oh really? Because I happen to be what most would consider a extreme liberal and I do not support a thief being allowed to walk away unchallenged. So now please explain to me how I a hardcore liberal have made these conditions possible through my views. Also be real the reason why they have that rule is to avoid lawsuits if the criminal or employee or even another person by pure accident gets hurt. It is mostly for insurance purposes.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"also... though bestbuy does this too becuase they have insurance to pay for stolen property... they pay the same for it regardless of whats stolen so why get involved"

With, I imagine, a pretty decent deductible that makes using that policy unlikely for a couple 'small' items unlikely, not to mention that putting in a claim will probably raise their rates making it even less worthwhile.

What probably really happens is they exaggerate the losses due to theft by a couple hundred percent and claim it as a tax write-off :)

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]This is what lawyers and liberals get you. Companies that fire employees for stopping thieves for fear of lawsuits and nutbag leftwing juries.[/citation]

WTF?! Do you actually have the ability to think? Perhaps stop listening to the pill-popping closet homosexual fat man on the radio. Gee, there are no republican fascists lawyers. Liberal = Liberty = American, Duh.

None of this has anything to do with this article and yet you think of the blackman in the white house who actually does some work. Do you go to sleep dreaming of liberals? Pretty sick don't you think?

Come up with an original thought, otherwise keep your birther / teabagger / Deather Donald Dump comments where they belong. In your head and not on an article that has NOTHING to do with politics.

G

This is why I don't shop at Best Buy. Their prices are so high because the accept so many losses from theft rather than confront the dirtbags. They then increase their prices to make up for those losses

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Oh yeah ! USA is a very funny Country ! a powerful country with a very stupid politics. jajaja USA is the way to go !! (sarcasm)

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
The reason this policy is in place (I've worked for many retail stores) is because you never know when the thief is armed or will retaliate. Would be real stupid to try and tackle a guy stealing an $800 laptop and then you get shot. Not worth it.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
It's not just Best Buy though. Nearly every major corporation will have the same policies for all the risks mentioned above. The merchandise is not worth the possibility of someone being injured, more property being damaged, lawsuits. Just call the police and let them handle it in any situation. If a store has enough theft to warrant security, they bring in trained security to watch the doors. They are not called security however, they are called "Risk Management", because they are trained in assessing the possible situations and taking actions based on those possibilities.

Which would you rather have, a higher rate of theft or a higher rate of injury and deaths? This isn't a comic book, being a hero in real life comes with consequences.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Wait, so now it's public knowledge that if you want to steal from Best Buy, nobody will stop you or they will get fired!

In fact, you could walk right in, pick up a laptop, walk toward the exit, high-five the idiots standing at the door punching receipts and wave bye as you walk off with a free laptop.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
At the Best Buy near my place, several guys will tackle a thief and no one gets fired. It looks football. This is a ridiculous rule. Why do they keep an LP guy watching the screens then?

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
As they say in the saints, the thing we must fear most is the indifference of good men. this should never be a mark against anyone.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007

Spoken like a true right-wing fruitcake. Go listen to Limbaugh like a good moron.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
And if the guy turned around and shot him or another patron, then what? BestBuy has a huge lawsuit on hand. The kid was lucky that the thief was not armed. See if I stop someone from walking out of Best Buy over some laptops.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]bhaberle[/nom]At the Best Buy near my place, several guys will tackle a thief and no one gets fired. It looks football. This is a ridiculous rule. Why do they keep an LP guy watching the screens then?[/citation]

So they can call the police when a crime is in progress.

G

You know, the guy wasn't fired for stopping a thief. He was fired because his violated a known company policy that the company obviously put a great deal of emphasis on.

Seems like a simple case of employee discipline that was reported in a manner to generate discussions that have nothing to do with what happened as opposed to how the event would be perceived.

txsouthpaw

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I have worked Assets Protection for 2 major retail chains and these regulations are par for the course. Floor employees are typically barred from interfering in thefts in progress due to their lack of training in following apprehension protocol. The company can potentially be held liable not only if undo force is used upon the perpetrator, but also if the employee is harmed by an armed suspect. The policies are in place to keep employees safe as well as to protect the company. The problem seems to be that the store's AP team was asleep at the wheel, as they should have been proactive in the store's response. Also, just because the thief has left the store with the merchandise, it does not necessarily result in a clean getaway.

txsouthpaw

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
[citation][nom]popatim[/nom]Make the guy head of security and hang the theif. We need better punishments, enough of this bleed heart liberal crap.[/citation]

So we're going to execute thieves? How about we start stoning adulterers? Next, we can have a Supreme Spiritual Leader. Think about what you say, that is if you can separate from Murdoch's right tit long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS