Best Buy Founder Fails to Make Company Private

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Best Buy has been decent. There's been a few times where I got something that wasn't at another place, or got a deal that somewhere else couldn't do. There's a few things that are only $1-2 more than online (though several things that are far higher), and I don't mind paying that to get my stuff faster.

But yeah, normally, this isn't the case for very expensive items

bigshootr8

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
The company hasn't been appealing for some time pricing is more then a dollar or two in computer hardware. Maybe they have great deals I don't know but I know the over price way to many items.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Bestbuy was much better at pricing when CompUSA was still around for competition. Now that their biggest brick and mortar competition is Radio Shack, they can overcharge on many items because they can.

G

A year to 18 months from now it will have gone the way of Circuit City and CompUSA. Sad but true.

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Stores like best buy used to be good, but with online(Amazon, Newegg), and one day shipping, they cannot compete.

I find it hard to find anything worth browsing through in best buy. They have a very limited selection of quality electronics, games, and PC stuff. Their music and movie/TV show areas seem really good though if you want to go pick up a physical copy.

Real shame, these coming years will be their last likely, I used to love going into physical stores and browsing.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
One of the major reasons for Best Buy's downfall was its training style for employees. It trained them to treat customers as prey, and BB also allowed 3rd party salesmen to dress up in BB's clothing and go after the customers, in return for some payment.

(According to one of Forbes' articles)

CHACHOUU

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]A year to 18 months from now it will have gone the way of Circuit City and CompUSA. Sad but true.[/citation]

What are you talking about there is a Compusa-Tigerdirect across the street from best-buy,where I live in Miami.

Dec 31, 2001
Best Buy would not stock anything but the crappy PNY laptop memory at its landmark center store in Boston, when I asked them the "Geek" squad if thay would ever stock a better brand, they said no, and they told me to go to Microcenter if I wanted better laptop memory! I had to return the PNY memory to Best Buy and went to Microcenter and got better memory, from that day onward I stopped shoping at Best Buy, Best Buy is to computer retail as Windows 8 is to the desktop/non-touch laptop computer, Crappy to the MAX! Windows 8 Metro and Best Buy will go down the crapper shortly, as they have made their final circle around the bowl!!!

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
It's truly a shame. This used to be a premier electronics store. Now, it's just limping by. I always loved to go in the local Best Buy and browse; giddy at all the new electronic gizmos and gadgets. I will miss this place if they go the way of so many other corporate giants. Sad.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
The last thing I bought from Best Buy was NFS Hot Pursuit back in 2011. All of my games are from digital distribution now. They're in a tough spot.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
yea Fry's Electronics is a great place to go and they can be pretty competitive when it comes to online pricing now thats not always the case but if you watch there sales they usually either meet or beat deals online. As for best buy .. if you have no other choice and your not computer savy then i guess that's the place to go .. they usually over charge and over rate products .. now i cant say the same about tv deals i got a great deal a few years ago but any more.. the stuff they carry isnt really exclusive in any way.. so its really not worth a visit.

Dec 31, 2001
I miss the old days when there is Compusa. circuitcity. big kmart. everything is here before 2006. sooner I m gonna to miss bestbuy and lose the excitement on a tradition blackfriday I had the last 10 years.

amoralman

Honorable
May 20, 2012
it will continue to focus its transformation for the benefit of all of its stakeholders.

This is what I hate about public companies. Their only concern is their shareholders, whatever it takes.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
What are you talking about there is a Compusa-Tigerdirect across the street from best-buy,where I live in Miami.

Not the same....TigerDirect bought the CompUSA name a few years back. They also bought Circuit City's name. Those companies used to be completely separate B&M entities back in the day. Now, its just 2 more TigerDirects.

Status
Not open for further replies.